latest tortoise on TM.

repto

no doubt a few of you have seen it?some may even be looking at buying it?I trust this is not in breach of any rules but just want to give my opinion of this animal.

What a sad pathetic looking specimen.I know its only photos which can be not as they are in real life but I have noted the following,eyes are sunken and dull,body is too big for the shell,beak is overgrowen,shell is the wrong shape for an animal of that sex,species and age.It looks like it can hardly hold its head and legs up(could be due to lack of exercise and poor diet(lettuce,as in photo=zilch food value.To see an animal kept like this is quite sad,mainly because the owner thinks they are doing evrything so well??I hope someone buys it quick?not for me.

its not something you can put a figure on.it all depends what sort of care and diet they have been subjected to.Some may never breed or die trying to pass eggs through a deformed carapace.Most that I have heard and seen do not lay before 10 or longer(not alot but a few)

I am glad to see that I am not the only one to have thought that this tortoise looked rather poor in appearence. Potential forced growth in artificial conditions as a juvenile may be the cause of the tortoise appearing out of proportion??? The hooked appearance on the top of the beak could mean eating ability is poor and hence maybe a limited diet. Can't say I would take this animal on but one things for sure a little correct TLC would no doubt give this "girl" a new lease on life... Have to laugh at the sellers attitude towards questions which are not too hard to answer, people do generaly want to have clear answers before making an investment such as this.

• 2 weeks later...

:o holy moly:cry: imagin what a healthy one would sell for....what the!!!!

to be honest i think that a healthy one would of gone for the same price... most buyers will be breeders so they see a 7 year old girl a good investment even if it takes a few years to get her back up to standard. For it would be better than rearing a hatchling from birth to around 10 years...

to be honest i think that a healthy one would of gone for the same price... most buyers will be breeders so they see a 7 year old girl a good investment even if it takes a few years to get her back up to standard. For it would be better than rearing a hatchling from birth to around 10 years...

Most of the tortoise breeders i know wouldnt of touched it with yours ! :)

it has gone to someone who thinks they can help it

or to someone who just didn't look with an experienced eye

or someone who just didnt care (lets hope not :-?) a tortoise is definately a popular novelty still, worth even risking several court offenses it seems.

And if people are still willing to risk getting one regardless of where it came from (or how they get it) then I guess they'll spend $$$ on any they see on trademe too.