Summer Time Emersed Plant Setup

phoenix44

Yes but the concentration of CO2 you exhale is about 100 times greater than the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere so the plants should love it...but of course you would have to keep breathing into the box as the plants use it up! :wink:

[co2 atmos]*volume in box + ([co2 breathed out]* volume of breath) / volume of box = tolal [co2]

assume 2L lung capacity (on the large side) 5% would be 100ml CO2 by volume / breath

divided by volume of box... say, what? 20 L or so? probably more?

Increase of [co2] in box by 0.005% of [co2] by volume. plus atmospheric CO2.

assuming that the extra 2l is part of the 20l box.

:lol: :wink:

I think I broke the internets...

Now... if he were to continuously breathe the air in the box, then shut it.... youd still be left with ~10% increase in Co2 in a perfect container without escape, before he passed out...

DO IT! :P and we want picture evidence... :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like to make a mini set up like this (ie one bucket worth) and propogate the dwarf sag from Alan and some twisted val - will it work if I anchor each plant with the lead strip or must they be in pots like Phoeonix's?

this might save me if the algae that is threatening to return ruins my plants again 8)

• 3 weeks later...

my experiment worked!

in the end I had some sagittaria and val pieces anchored in sand by pebbles in a dark blue bucket. I covered them in water and had a glad wrap roof tied down on top. I put them on the back patio and first of all they got too much light and went fadey. Moved to another location and now nearly a month later they all have new growth and the sagittaria has lots of green baby runners.

I didn't actually need them in the end as the algae so far hasn't taken off like I thought it was going to but I'm happy with how that turned out. :D