OMG Animates just sold me Danios with whitespot

AquaVitamins

What a headache !

I have just introduced 6 of them into my community tank, and have discovered their fins and bodys scatters with white spots!!!

ARGHH!!!! why?!?!?!

So now i need to treat it...

What do i use? - will it stain my silica sand?!? :o

And do u think Animates should pay for the treatment?

:-?

I don't think animates should pay for the treatment, part of the fault is your own for buying them in the first place and not QTing them. Slowly raise your water to 30, depending on what else you have in the tank (the danios might not do well with this temp) and treat with some wunder white spot cure (I think) at the dosing on the package. It will also partly help with gravel vacs and 50% waterchanges (to remove the cysts)

I don't think they should have to. Though if you ask nicely they could give you a bottle of white spot cure - it only costs a few bucks. you shouldnt not have a bottle at home just in case anyway :P

But did you not look at the fish before you bought them? Not saying they arent necessarily to blame, but when im purchasing, I will watch fish for at least 5 minutes - much longer if the price is over $100, checking its behaviour etc.. - never assume that the person getting fish for you sees everything, as human beings, mistakes can be made.

But in the meantime, do a 50% water change with a gravel vac and bump your temp upto 28C until you get treatment.

and yes, it couldve been developed on the way home - from the stress of being netted, transported, etc..

oh and the wunder white spot cure shouldnt stain your silicone. it will make your water radioactive green for a few hours before disappating (remove carbon before using). the dosage should be 1 drop per litre. then on day 3, its one drop per 2 litres, then on day 7 do a 50% water change. If you have scaleless fish such as loaches and plecos, do half doses (it still works).

Hope this helps!

I don't think they should have to. Though if you ask nicely they could give you a bottle of white spot cure - it only costs a few bucks. you shouldnt not have a bottle at home just in case anyway :P

But did you not look at the fish before you bought them? Not saying they arent necessarily to blame, but when im purchasing, I will watch fish for at least 5 minutes - much longer if the price is over $100, checking its behaviour etc.. - never assume that the person getting fish for you sees everything, as human beings, mistakes can be made.

But in the meantime, do a 50% water change with a gravel vac and bump your temp upto 28C until you get treatment.

and yes, it couldve been developed on the way home - from the stress of being netted, transported, etc..

oh and the wunder white spot cure shouldnt stain your silicone. it will make your water radioactive green for a few hours before disappating (remove carbon before using). the dosage should be 1 drop per litre. then on day 3, its one drop per 2 litres, then on day 7 do a 50% water change. If you have scaleless fish such as loaches and plecos, do half doses (it still works).

Hope this helps!

Hey thanks. I have kuhlies so ill 1/2 it. How many w/c's should i do? Just the one? Or do one each day until i get the stuff?

what else is in your community tank and is it planted - if so with what, oh! and ring animates and tell them. Trouble is they may have 'developed it' on the way home.

Its not that well planted, like a few Java ferns - hoping to get more, and mostly rocks and caves.

I have 2 female fighters, 5 Kuhlis, a Goldspot pleco, 6 Panda Corys, 13 neons and the 6 danios

Animates is closed now :/ I just tried. Ill call tomo. But yea, if they wont pay for the treatment ill just pick it up from my lfs

I think ur right about it developing , because the currently the white spots are very small and the dianos move so quickly that they are very hard to see. So i wouldn't have been about to see it @ the pet store

I would ring to let them know and then they could at least check to make sure that the others don't have it. I don't think they should have to pay for the cost of medications as its a case of 'buyer beware' and certainly the shops up here have signs to that effect.

I was asking as to what fish because my first treatment for white spot is to up the temperature and salt the tank but khuli loaches won't cope with that so you'll need to go down the medications route instead.

Keep the water changes going daily as vacuuming will remove the cysts that drop off due to the increased temp. If you do up the tank to 30 it would be advisable to add an airline as well.

Hey thanks. I have kuhlies so ill 1/2 it. How many w/c's should i do? Just the one? Or do one each day until i get the stuff?

You can do each day if you like. the theory behind it is that if you remove half the water, you are removing half the free swimming cysts :), same with gravel siphoning. It wont erradicate it, but it will help control it a bit. Damage limitation.

oh.

why? :o

The people up there know about fish and I can spend an hour at Animates down here and no one will talk to us. I have also pointed out bad white spot before and been told that they had not seen it but would show there boss the next day. We saw one of the other girls sell those fish about 30 min latter

i went into the lower hutt animates about a month ago and they had 4 tanks that needed looking at - i pointed them all out to them and they were like oh crap - and treated them all straight away - it all depends on who is working at the time and if they know what they are doing - if you go to the kaiwharawhara store make sure you speak to Les - him and one other girl there are the only ones i would really talk to as they seem to know what they are talking about :)

do you guys not use formalin for white spot? i love it because it seems to get rid of it quick and safe in community tanks ect... can even use it on fry with no deaths

Formalin is great for killing ALL bacteria. Including the good stuff. Its great stuff, I use it once per month and refer to it as 'nuking' the tanks :lol: Big water changes the next day followed by minor ammonia readings and bacterial blooms usually follow in the week after are the downsides though.