Cloudy patch on my rabbits eye...

pufferfishnz

Does anyone know what it could be. I have looked it up on the net and it could be many things....

has anyone had a rabbit that this has happened to?

Hes only 7 or 8 months old and has a good diet and is fit and healthy otherwise...

I want to take him to the vet but I thought I would ask here first...

Thanks

Patches on rabbit eyes are a symptom of pyratiiasis. It causes limb loss requiring replacement with pegs or hooks, overindulgence in rum, chasing of wenches and theft then burying of booty. There is no known cure though there has been some anecdotal claims of success through pushing off a long plank extended over a large body of water.

If the cloudyness is isolated to the lens as seen only through the iris (dark middle part of the eye), then it could be a cataract. Cataracts will cause blindness eventually but are not generally painful. If the cloudyness is on the cornea itself (surface of the eye), then it could be an ulcer that has resulted from an injury/abrasion. Ulcers can be quite serious, and they are usually quite painful so the rabbit may show signs of squinting, decreased activity, and watering of the eye. If not treated properly, they can cause scaring or in bad cases fungi, viruses and bacteria can invade the tissue and cause a prolonged infection. In the worst case, the ulcer can begin to 'melt' and this can cause the eye to rupture.

If the rabbit is showing signs of pain, the best thing is to have a vet look at it as soon as possible. Ophthalmic (eye) injuries/disorders are emergencies! If the vet thinks it is an ulcer, they will apply a simple flurocein stain to the eye to confirm if it is an ulcer. The treatment for basic ulcers is the application of eye drops 3 to 5 times a day (usually antibiotics and sometimes antiinflammatories). It is important to follow the instructions to get it to heal as soon as possible.

Good luck.

could be as you said a number of things

speculation ontil it is examined really

an abrasion will clear up over a short time depending on how bad it is

is it housed with other rabbits?

I agree, best get a professional to diagnose and treat. From my 10 year experience in the vet world it best to get these things checked asap to save further issues and expenses. That's my 5cents worth :roll: