Leopardfish have produced

Caryl

I was given 4 adults and 3 juvenile leopardfish, Phalloceros caudomaculatus, at the end of November (thanks Whiskas 8) ).

I have noticed 5 fry swimming about this morning :bounce:

A good start to the New Year, just about doubling my numbers. 8)

I decided not to put them in the new bathroom, they are sitting on top of one of the lounge speakers in a 455mm x 300 x 300, 40L tank. No filtration, as I was expecting a small internal filter for Christmas but my dear son presented me with a powerhead by mistake :roll: :-?

With small fish in small numbers filtration will not be necessary anyway if I keep up regular water changes. They have a dark gravel substrate with some mini sag and red rotala planted along with duckweed on the surface. The duckweed came with the fish but I like it so kept it. So far it is not getting carried away but time will tell :D

No filtration, as I was expecting a small internal filter for Christmas but my dear son presented me with a powerhead by mistake :roll: :-?

Just attach a sponge to the intake of the powerhead, awesome sponge filter right there.

Yeah I remember trying to track some down as well but no luck.. I should have brought them from the petshop when they had them, but I think by the stage I say them they had a tank full of males (maybe they were only supplied males?) :(

Anyway congrats Caryl keep the going :)

I am surprised your fish are living with no filtration the general advice I have seen on here recently is no matter what fish no matter what sized tank it has to have the biggest canister filter affordable and at least 10x per hour filtration..

I am surprised your fish are living with no filtration the general advice I have seen on here recently is no matter what fish no matter what sized tank it has to have the biggest canister filter affordable and at least 10x per hour filtration..

It's just advice. I have little to no filtration on my display tanks (all planted though), no filtration on the betta rearing tank (also planted and full of algae) and only a pump with sponge on the BN tank. I know I'll get shot for this but to me, filtration is over rated.

In this day and age of overstocking aquariums and easy access to gadgets then people always go for filtration. It certainly makes for a lot less work!

Since it is a small tank with very few fish (and small ones at that) I can get away without filtration and doing weekly water changes. I am doing one bucket at a time - which is approx 10L. I have measured the tank again and taking the substrate and space at the top into the equation, I actually have more like 28L in it, not the 40L as first claimed :roll:

next time i am coming thru to Wanganui and if i have some spare...

lol just remember if you do that Bulls is on the way too ;)

SamH it was sarcasm I believe that alot of people overdo it.. And while it isn't a bad thing I think alot of people take this advice as gospel and waste alot of money on gear they don't need.. A lightly stocked tank that isn't over fed and has regular water changes and some plants will remain stable on its own.

I have always liked them but they do not stand out in the tank. This is why I didn't put them in the bathroom display tank in the end as they are so well camouflaged against the dark substrate and plants etc that they are too hard to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have added a light to the tank and can now count somewhere between 10 - 16 fry. The damn things won't stay still so I can count accurately!

There is definitely 10 but unsure whether the rest are others or some of the 10 counted more than once :roll:

• 4 weeks later...

The joy of the lightly stocked tank rapidly becoming more heavily stocked.

I tend to think they're a great wee fish, got three tanks full of them... started from 5 about 6 years go.

Need to offload a few to a pet shop or something, too litle room.

Gavin

The joy of the lightly stocked tank rapidly becoming more heavily stocked.

I tend to think they're a great wee fish, got three tanks full of them... started from 5 about 6 years go.

Need to offload a few to a pet shop or something, too litle room.

Gavin

Hi Gavin, I have PMd you