Panaque Teeth

phoenix44

Nice shots Phoenix44. Just a slight correction. :wink: Many plecos have teeth, only Panaques have short spoon-shaped teeth (ie wider at tips than base) so they can rasp wood, bark, and algal biofilm. Goldie plecos (and other Scobinancistrus), which are closely related also spoon-shaped teeth but they are much longer and narrower than in Panaques, and are thought to be for eating molluscs (i.e. snails, etc.)

Its believed that the lignin or lignen within the wood serves as a part of the fish's diet, along with a supposed symbiotic gut fungi that helps break the wood down. Studies have shown that the wood in a panaques diet provides little to no energy and the small amounts of bio film and aufwuchs provide more substantial amounts, some take this information as indication that the panaque species was never actually designed to eat wood.

Didn't they find similar when McD's was putting sawdust in their burgers. They found sawdust was of no nutritional value.

I thought they found that the saw dust had more/equal nutrition than the burgers... On second thoughts the burgers were always made from sawdust so adding more would just make the burgers bigger

Interesting article.

Though the article negates to mention or take headence the effect of wood on the digestability and the speed of which the bolus moves through the animal.

Whilst indeed it shows that wood is of no energy value (or of very little at least) it does not show a wood-starved control group. I think that therefore the conclusion that they cannot digest the wood therefore their niche may be to " take macroscopic detritus (i.e., woody debris) and reduce it to <1mm" as part of a carbon cycle is ubsurd. There has to be a behavioural, structural or some other benifit to the organism.

Also, the wood that he is giving them is only of one variety (water oak) results could be different depending on the species of wood.

It also does not state if the wood was previously in an environment whereby diatoms or micro-algae could grow prior to being offered up for ingestion, thereby could affect the ratios of digestibility.

The idea that the wood may be benificial to the organisms as a means to ensure the pulse or bolus does not become impacted causing a gastro intestinal blockage is also not explored.

Too many loopholes to make a blanket "wood is of no real benifit" statement. Common sense and Darwinism states that it must have some effect or they would not be behaviourally or physically aligned to the task of consuming wood.

As stated above that "some" believe, this is not my personal opinion, but P. Maccus surely proves the point that the neglect of wood in the diet has no adverse effect on the fish's health as seen in many aquariums where wood is not used as long as the the diet is stabilized (highly fibrous).

My opinion is exactly as stated

The idea that the wood may be beneficial to the organisms as a means to ensure the pulse or bolus does not become impacted causing a gastro intestinal blockage is also not explored.

In the article he does state that it took 18hrs for the bolus to move through the digestive system, whether this is effected by the type or grade of wood would of course require more information but seems to of course make sence.

Im aware of the many loop holes his work shows and how much more is required, but the aim was to show the point how little the wood provides nutrition wise.

I think that therefore the conclusion that they cannot digest the wood therefore their niche may be to " take macroscopic detritus (i.e., woody debris) and reduce it to <1mm" as part of a carbon cycle is ubsurd. There has to be a behavioural, structural or some other benifit to the organism.

I agree 100%

As for "Darwinism" i don't believe that the reason for the teethe was aimed at the wood but more the bio film and aufwuchs within, and that this was an adaptation in order to reach that food source, this also raises the possibility that the wood over time has become a necessity to the digestive system of the more exclusive species of wood eaters.

As for "Darwinism" i don't believe that the reason for the teethe was aimed at the wood but more the bio film and aufwuchs within, and that this was an adaptation in order to reach that food source, this also raises the possibility that the wood over time has become a necessity to the digestive system of the more exclusive species of wood eaters.

Perhaps the adaption was for both points. Wood for fibre, and the algae/diatoms attached to it.

Physical removal of diatoms from a surface is pretty hard. Marine snails rasps work furiously, and a slow pace across the surface.

Why not cut out the middle man and take the whole surface off, diatoms, algae wood and all? then the chemical action(probably more effecient than the physical in terms of diatoms) can take place. Just a quick thought, now moving on...

JBL novo tabs also contain 10% wood fibre. They must deem it to be of some importance.

Agreed then that scientifically balanced and shall we say "designer" foods are probably fulfilling the gap in the nutrition/fibre that may be found in the aquarium without natural sources of wood. But, the question becomes do we want to fulfill the nutritional needs, or do you want to re-create a natural environment. Thats obviously up to the individual.

By the way, I'm not "having a go" at you or anything, just the article. Your point is valid and proven, but the article, for me, raised more questions than answered.

Which is *always* a good thing.

does consuming the wood affect their breeding ability?

I don't believe it would effect the ability but many of the Panaqolus (dwarf) species stake out holes in wood as territory and breeding locations, again this would be conflicted by many factors including species.