200l drum for filtration

livingart

need more fitration on the big aro tank so have modified an old 200l plastic drum i used to store water in

trimmed down an old plastic milk tray for a base to the filter

cut some offcuts of shower lining to fit inside as a central divider

lightly sanded the plastic to help the silicon to adhere to sides

pushed the drum out of shape a bit to get a tight fit

drumfilter.jpg

filling with pumice pieces in layers for media

another layer of pumice and scoria

sandy1579.jpg

needed something on top to spread the water across the pomice as the top layer is "dry"

drilld holes in a piece of coreflute

sandy1576.jpg

space on right for pump

sandy1579.jpg

plumbed to existing filter, hansen fittings

sandy1578.jpg

tap at base to drain detritus

sandy1580.jpg

bucket for pre filter, holes to aid spread of flow

sandy1583.jpg

filled with bioballs

drumfilter3.jpg

Cool idea, what size pump will you have in the drum? I've been thinking about doing something similar but instead of a pump (I can't figure out what size pump I'd need) I was going to hitch up my canister filter to the drum. The canister filter is good but it has such a tight seal that I have to get my husband to help open and shut it when I want to clean it and since the fish aren't really his thing, to make it easier for me, I thought of putting the flterwool and bioballs in the drum and leaving the noodles in the canister. (don't know if that would work properly)

do you have an overflow on your tank

as you will need to get water out of the tank to the bucket before your canister can pick it up and return to the tank

an overflow drilled in the tank is the safest way though there are other ways of creating an over flow system

there is an excellent thread here

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... p?t=219465

Hiya, at the moment I have my spraybar down low in my tank as the clown loaches seem to love hovering in the current from it. Still plenty of water movement round the tank but not enough to blow the angelfish or the others around (plus 3 air bubblers going).

Would I be right in assuming that if I put a hole in the aquarium outgoing pipe just under the water level and another on the spraybar pipe at the same level and the power went off, only a small amount of water would drain into my tub and then stop. Which means my tub and canister would still be full of water so when the power came back on, the water from the tub to the canister would create enough pressure to start the cycle up again?

i think so long as the canister is slightly below the bucket water level you should be right

i have my spray bar vertical and the last 2 holes just out of the water

when power goes off the syphon is broken

when power is on again the pump starts again

because you are using a hole in the tank it can only drop to that level

the spray bar end is the one that will syphon. i think

best idea is to try it while you are watching it

• 1 month later...
The "egg crate" can be found a lighting shops as diffusers for commercial office lights

Not sure of costing

YES! I knew I'd seen it used somewhere other than aquariums, thats it!!! Jeez I was staring straight at it for 40 minutes at the dentist the other day and didn't even click.

Cheers