Alchol

Charlie

I purchased a bottle of rasberry vodka (absolute) because it had a proof of 80... its for flame shots but it will not light??? not happy and cant really return it due to it being open??? i thort anything 80 and over proof would light up?

Heat it up a bit?

You probably know that the word proof (as in booze) comes from the tax inspectors in the good old days that used to put a pile of gunpowder on the bar, buy a nip of spirits and pour it over, then light it. If the gunpwder burned at the end it was proof that the spirits had not been watered down. I am told that some of the bars in old pubs in England still have the burn marks on them. Proof is about double the percentage w/v. Ordinary whiskey is 43% and vodka about 38% I think so it is not super strong. Should still burn though. What a waste.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that people get confused between proof and %wv with alcohol.

Proof is twice the %wv so I think you would mean 89proof which would be 44.5%wv (about the same as a good whiskey). It does not matter how many times you distil it you always get no more than about 97% because of its affinity for water. You need to remove the water chemically to get it stronger. 89% alcohol would kill you.

I think that people get confused between proof and %wv with alcohol.

Proof is twice the %wv so I think you would mean 89proof which would be 44.5%wv (about the same as a good whiskey). It does not matter how many times you distil it you always get no more than about 97% because of its affinity for water. You need to remove the water chemically to get it stronger. 89% alcohol would kill you.

It is quoted on the bottle as 72.5%, 85% or 89.9% Alc Vol and the "standard drink" says it is 5.9 drinks per shot for the 89.9% so it is a bit more than whiskey

I started hallucinating on absinthe once... only had a little bit, and some beers, nothing else!

Thought that there were little green gnomes following me, but everytime I turned around they'd jump into the bushes or the trees.

Didn't last long, but damn! I don't want to ever have that again... funny thing is that my mate saw them too... :\