chiller idear

anthony law

Unfortunately neither idea will work well,

Pretty much all metals will rust with salt water, even high grade stainless breaks down.

The pipe in the fridge idea is a problem because of the difficulty finding tube that will transfer heat. PVC/plastic pipe is a very poor heat conductor.

For these two reasons chillers use titanium tube, it doesn't rust and has great heat transfer. But it also why they are so expensive.

how big is the tank if its really small you can get a kit off ebay that uses a peltier effect cooler fitted into a hang on back filter i dont think it would be effective for anything over 50l and possibly by the time you buy it and pay for postage you could probably pick up a secondhand chiller here for a lil bit more

700L is pretty big, should be reasonably stable.

Reading through thread after thread here on good ways of cooling, it looks like chillers are good on small tanks and fans for big tanks. With a sump you could have a fan on the tank and a fan on the sump. Of course you would need to be topping off with fresh water very regularly.

I have heard of people wiring up banks of computer fans :) Fans can be noisy though.

I think it will depend on a whole bunch of things though:

The room should be cool to begin with.

The surface area should be vast. If your tank is tall and thin forget it. You want maximum water surface area for evaporation.

Your fish should be rockpooly. They can be a bit more hardy when it comes to temps.

The aquarium hardware should give off as little heat as possible and insulate the tank thoroughly.

Of course I haven't had any experience with marine fish. Others will be able to give you more specific advice.