A few guppy questions from a beginner

aquadude

Hi all

some questions

A) how old does the fry have to be before you can sex them?

B) Approx at what age of the male fry does its colour in the back fin appear?

Thanks

I am a beginner just like you to :)

I'd like to know the same thing

My babies are nearly about a month old

and I see some of them have flicks of colours on their tails So I have taken that to be boys.?

Will be cool to see what the others have to say tho.

Hi :)

I used this website when I was first researching guppy breeding.

http://guppyplace.tripod.com/Breeding.html

The fry can be separated as early as 1 week if you look closely for the female's developing gravid spot - dark spot behind anal fin (this can be hard with blonde guppies as it is without pigment and comes up yellow). But like the article says, its unnecessary to be this proficient as the males do not develop their gonopodium (long anal fin) until about 3-6 weeks.

Some of my fry, especially the tuxedos/half-blacks, start developing their black body pigments almost immediately after birth. This is both for the males and females. The other colours like red, yellow, and blue start to come in later. Some females will also have flecks of colour or black in their tail, but the males will have more and their tails will start growing out larger. Yellow is usually present fairly early on ~1month. The blue is also fairly early when the light hits it because its iridescent. The reds and oranges come in last >2months. The males typically don't have a tail that reaches its full size and has all the colours in their glory till adulthood.

I find you get the fastest growth rates if you start the fry off the first couple of weeks in a breeding trap. Feed them as many times a day as you can (try to keep their bellies full at all times). You may need to split them into 2 breeding traps if you've had a particularly large drop. Having them in a smaller area at first help because the food is more easily found in a smaller area. I feed mine solely on baby brine shrimp at first, but many have had success on microworms. After this, move them into a larger tank 2-40L as they start to grow out. Then into a 80L. If you keep the water warm, and feed them very often and give them enough room so they are not crowded, they will grow out quicker.

Hope this helps!

Milena

i find the easiest way to sex them when they're young is to look for the gravid spot in the females.. you can see this very early on. (often around 1-2 weeks) And in the boys his lower anal fin will start to elongate and thicken on the outer edge as it starts to become a gonopodium which for my tuxedos is around 5-6 weeks and for my snakeskins around 4-5 weeks.

I wish i had of put my golds seperate and started a strain or at least juts had golds in a tank but im not starting another tank hehe

I get more boys usually i think if you put your temp up or you get mroe girls?? soemthing like that

mines on 26

• 2 weeks later...
I always seem to get more girls than boys for some reason.

thats due to temp i cant remember the exact numbers but have a look on the net,just out of curiosity,what temp are yours on?

i have a coldwater tank and a tropical tank with some in each,the tropical tank i get either heaps of one or the other,the coldwater is usually pretty even