advice and suggestions seeken..

Slightly Blue Dalmation

well to start my story i have a 300L tank and someone suggested doing a killi display tank which caught my fancy as killi's are one of the sorts i havnt dealt with in my fish keeping experience, so it sounds like a cool idea to me.

the second part of the story is i have a few months before the 300L gets set up, and a nice 4 ft tank with i divider, ie 2 2ft tanks doing nothing which might be a good opportunity to breed some to put in the 300L

apart from joining the killi fish assosciation which is a given, any suggestions on the best way to go about setting up the 2 fts for this and also species suggestions?

Cheers

Ahh good to be back on this site

Nothing really special you have to do for a killie set-up. You must have a lid/hood on the tank because they like jumping.

As for setting up the 2ft tanks for breeding. Keep them bare bottom, it is easier to clean ans stops them laying eggs in the gravel. Only have one species breeding in a tank at a time, other wise they can cross breed. I would start with only one specie and keep the other 2ft tank free for raising fry in, or get more tanks :lol:. Breeding them is fairly easy, with some species requiring more work then others.

Groups that can live together;

Group 1 - note: Pseodepiplatys annulatus can get a bit nippy

Aphyosemion Australe

Aphyosemion Striatum

Aphyosemion Bitaeniatum

Poropanchax Normani OR Pseodepiplatys annulatus OR Epiplatys Dageti

Group 2 - note: Smaller Aphyosemion may be at risk from larger Fundulopanchax

Aphyosemion Australe

Aphyosemion Striatum

Aphyosemion Bitaeniatum

Fundulopanchax Nigerianus

Fundulopanchax Gardneri

Fundulopanchax Scheeli

Epiplatys Dageti

Fry surviving probably not. But possible the odd lucky one.

Size wise you can't stick

Poropanchax Normani

Pseodepiplatys annulatus

with

Fundulopanchax Gardneri

Fundulopanchax Scheeli

Epiplatys Dageti

Fundulopanchax Nigerianus

because Poropanchax Normani and Pseodepiplatys annulatus would get eaten

• 6 months later...
well to start my story i have a 300L tank and someone suggested doing a killi display tank which caught my fancy as killi's are one of the sorts i havnt dealt with in my fish keeping experience, so it sounds like a cool idea to me.

the second part of the story is i have a few months before the 300L gets set up, and a nice 4 ft tank with i divider, ie 2 2ft tanks doing nothing which might be a good opportunity to breed some to put in the 300L

apart from joining the killi fish assosciation which is a given, any suggestions on the best way to go about setting up the 2 fts for this and also species suggestions?

Cheers

Ahh good to be back on this site

hi SbD

what filter/pump etc did you end up with?