October 20, 200916 yr comment_336292 I am collecting my 4ft tank in the next few weeks, which is an uPgrade from my current 3ft Malawi setup. I am thinking about substrate. It's been suggested I use black substrate (my current tank has silica sand). What kind of substrate is black and suitable for (mostly) Malawi cichlids? And where can I buy it? Report
October 20, 200916 yr comment_336296 i heard there was a shop on the kapiti coast that sells the darker substrate - i havent seen any in wellington pet shops - i also tried placemakers where i got my white silica sand from but all they had was the grey stuff thats not as fine as silica - and i also called the horokiwi quarry but they didnt have any black silica... im going up the coast this weekend - i might do a hunt around the LPS / LFS's up there and see if i can find any Report
October 20, 200916 yr comment_336323 Strongly recommend you look in the yellow pages for landscaping places. Our local has about 30 different types of fine gravel and shingle, perfect for any tank. Report
October 20, 200916 yr comment_336325 Flourite? Can get that in black but NOT cheap to set up a 4ft tank with that stuff Report
October 21, 200916 yr comment_336336 I went out to the beach out past eastbourne and picked up a couple grocery bags of sand once. It's grey instead of black, but looks nice in one of my tanks. Report
October 21, 200916 yr comment_336342 Flourite? Can get that in black but NOT cheap to set up a 4ft tank with that stuff You mean SeaChem's Onyx Sand? It'd be a waste to use that in a non-planted aquarium seeing as it's one of the premium nutrient substrates on the market. I reckon Malawis look good against a lighter colour substrate but otherwise just ring around. Report
October 21, 200916 yr comment_336344 You mean SeaChem's Onyx Sand? It'd be a waste to use that in a non-planted aquarium seeing as it's one of the premium nutrient substrates on the market. premium in NZ at least what about the midnight gravel in this one??? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pets-animals/Fish/Stones-pebbles/auction-249015939.htm Report
October 21, 200916 yr comment_336346 premium in NZ at least Cheer up N1CK. I'm sure someone will start an ADA NZ soon Report
October 21, 200916 yr comment_336349 You mean SeaChem's Onyx Sand? It'd be a waste to use that in a non-planted aquarium seeing as it's one of the premium nutrient substrates on the market. I reckon Malawis look good against a lighter colour substrate but otherwise just ring around. Nah I meant black fluorite but yep too good and expensive to use for a non-planted tank. It's an option though albeit a pricey one http://www.seachem.com/Products/product ... Black.html Report
October 21, 200916 yr comment_336382 There is a place in Aukland that sells black basalt grit, I think they sell on TM as well. Report
July 18, 201016 yr comment_383067 If anyone in Welly is still looking for white silica sand, Placemakers on Hutt Rd have it in stock. In the timber shed on the right hand isle. Report
July 18, 201016 yr comment_383123 If anyone in Welly is still looking for white silica sand, Placemakers on Hutt Rd have it in stock. In the timber shed on the right hand isle. Has anyone in the Wellington/Hutt Valley/Kapiti region gone and grabbed some buckets and got some local river sand for use? (if so any recommendations?) I do have some Eastbourne beach gravel in my tank (fairly fine, dark grey) but might go to a sand substrait so it's easier on the loaches / catfish. Most of my plants are Java fern growing crazy off bogwood anyway.. Report
July 18, 201016 yr comment_383190 I do have some Eastbourne beach gravel in my tank (fairly fine, dark grey) but might go to a sand substrait so it's easier on the loaches / catfish. Heh, I have Eastbourne beach SAND in one of my tanks. Works pretty well. Report
July 19, 201016 yr comment_383237 Beach sand looks nice, and it has little bits of ground-up shell that would make the water slightly alkaline, and that would be ideal for a Malawi tank. Black sand would look out of place, and in a Malawi tank it would look quite tacky too. Beach sand is darkish - like a dark silvery grey colour - but not too dark though, so it will look good in a Malawi setup, and being a bit darker than silica sand, it will help bring out the colour of the fish. I'm sure someone will start an ADA NZ soon Gosh, that would be a dream come true! Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.