Magpie advice

Foxjxa

There is currently a baby magpie sitting on top of Treo's cage looking at me. :o

I found it on my way to work this morning and it appears to have a chip at the end of it's bottom mandible. When I got home after work I managed to syringe-feed it some watered down cat food and it even ate some chunks by hand, but I noticed that it's beak was bleeding steadily where it had chipped and called the vet.

The vet seemed more worried that once I released it, the bird wouldn't be able to eat properly and die so I should just get it put down. Didn't really answer my question and couldn't suggest anything else but the bleeding seems to have stopped now *touch wood* and I've cleaned the dried blood off of it's beak with a wet tissue.

Baby magpie is now walked/hopping/attempting to fly around the bird room and my bedroom but is extremely uncoordinated. It will randomly call for food from time to time and I've been feeding it accordingly. It also just squawked AT me and my partner while we were staring at it.

Now what do I do?

If you feed it mince make sure it does not have sulphur dioxide preservative added or it will bring it all up all over the place. Butchers are not allowed to add it to minced meat but the odd one does as it makes the mince go a nice red colour. The easy way to test it is to add a little malachite green soln and if SO2 is present it will go from green to clear.

I had a baby maggie and fed it minced meat and it turned into a volcanic eruption all over the kitchen floor. I had a few words with the butcher who then agreed to mince some prime steak for free while I watched.

I don't need a volcano in my room so I'll watch out for the meat!

Right now the magpie is sleeping on a towel on my lap. He's not very good at keep his balance while sleeping on a perch yet. He's so chilled out now!

We're considering the name Oswald.

Oswald just passed away in his sleep. We were sorting out which bed he would spend the rest of the night in (he was cuddled into my arm) when he stopped breathing.

There was no blood, he didn't struggle, he just stopped breathing... We couldn't resuscitate him. I can't work out exactly why he died, but a closer look at his beak revealed that his bottom mandible was split right through from tip to base. Not very nice.

Poor wee guy. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oswald just passed away in his sleep. We were sorting out which bed he would spend the rest of the night in (he was cuddled into my arm) when he stopped breathing.

There was no blood, he didn't struggle, he just stopped breathing... We couldn't resuscitate him. I can't work out exactly why he died, but a closer look at his beak revealed that his bottom mandible was split right through from tip to base. Not very nice.

Poor wee guy. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Him being "Chilled out" would have been a big clue that he was practically dead. Birds are great at the "It's just a flesh wound!"*Dead* thing.

Sorry for your loss, like Ira said, birds are great for the *squawk squawk* *nothing* technique.

@ alan :In my experience,(ok, so guessing basically) I dont see why not, super-glue was developed as "quick stitch" for the U.S army.

think it would depend in the beak and the break though, you wouldnt want to get it inside the beak and end up glueing its tongue down.

maybe something like epoxy would be better, just on the outside? it would probably peel off eventually, too.

Sorry for your loss, like Ira said, birds are great for the *squawk squawk* *nothing* technique.

@ alan :In my experience,(ok, so guessing basically) I dont see why not, super-glue was developed as "quick stitch" for the U.S army.

think it would depend in the beak and the break though, you wouldnt want to get it inside the beak and end up glueing its tongue down.

maybe something like epoxy would be better, just on the outside? it would probably peel off eventually, too.

I can't imagine you'd have an easy time getting a wild and relatively healthy bird to hold still while you sand and then smear some 5 min epoxy on it's beak.:)

super-glue was developed as "quick stitch" for the U.S army.

Its been used on my head a couple of time :oops:

No, cyanoacrylates were developed in an attempt to make gun sights in the 1940s. That didn't work, but worked well as a glue. It wasn't used for medical uses until some 20 years later and then not in widespread medical use until the late 90s. Medical glues are a bit different chemically than superglue, standard superglue works ok but does irritate tissues a bit.