I have a baby rabbit, what do i do?

smidey

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it can be a little different when the rabbit is part of the household

You try explaining that to the cat - you know the saying, dogs have owners, cats have staff.

it will handle the cats when it gets older :wink:

A Flemmish Giant, maybe, a common old garden bunny even when fully grown, I think not. Our cat used to drag them home and eat them head first.

Mind you, it would be good to see Livingart sitting the cat down and explaining the hierarchy of the household to it, reminds me of the Eddie Izzard thing about cats and dogs.

Dont feed your Rabbit lettuce, it will end up with Diarreha

As Mark said, Adult rabbits only feed their Young twice a day, for all of about 2 minutes each feed.

I used to breed Mini Lop Earred Rabbits for Animates, when it was feed time it was like a feeding frenzy at night, first time I heard them I wondered what on earth was going on, then the penny dropped, first in first served I guess.

Personally if it's eyes were open adn it was covered in Fur it probably is around 2 weeks old, probably just venturing out of the Burrow, maybe you could try popping it back where you found it, and see what happens.

Personally if it's eyes were open adn it was covered in Fur it probably is around 2 weeks old, probably just venturing out of the Burrow, maybe you could try popping it back where you found it, and see what happens.

it was on a golf course so if i pit it back it will be terminated as it will dig up beautifully manicured grass, sand bunkers & greens. I'll think its better off with me & besides, my wife has become very attached to it.

baby bunnies are wonderful!

you can toilet train them to be house bunnies from that age and if u intend to keep it then i def suggest it. Its all too often people get bunnies when little and then put them in a cage outside once they've grrown and thats it for 6 - 10 yrs. its so sad. :cry:

Couple of tips from my long experience with rabbits:

Definatly NOTHING with sugar in their diet - although they love it, they DO NOT NEED IT!

Be prepared to have ALL electrical and phone cords chewed in half - they cant help themselves lol

NEVER FEED LETTUCE EVER. and not too many veges per day as u will get squelshies. Hay is super good for them and ur carpets :P

Please dont leave the bunny unattended where ur cats can get it - only until it is perhaps a year old and fully grown and has had pleanty of sucessful interactions with ur cats will it fight them off.

Give ur bunny 'chin rubs' like a cat. It will bond with u well with these - if ur bunny licks ur hands it is a sign of affection and it likes the salt on ur skin too.

:P Keep us all posted :D

Have a fruit tree branch for it to chew to keep its teeth healthy

good call spoon

if it is what it has eaten then tomorrow should be better after drier food

if gut bacteria it will continue, smelly droppings

use acidophilus powder from health shop or natural yoghurt with aforesaid in it

or as said before powder healthy rabbit pebbles

just IMO

i havnet had ane problems with upset stomachs since i changed to nrm pellets i put some sunflower seeds in with these

hay rather than grass (not sure if hes fed that) can help as sometimes the high nitrogen content goes straight through them

also remember to have water on hand for it to drink because having the runs will make it dehydrated quickly

Be prepared to have ALL electrical and phone cords chewed in half - they cant help themselves lol

I have an easy way to fix that, go to a store like Bunnings and buy some of that thick plastic tubing to thread all the wires through. It worked wonders when our rats and our lil wild bunny had the run of the house (not at the same time :) ).

For during the day we had an outside run but unfortunately i think he must have been older than yours and he was always still a little WILD bunny.

My step mother had their wild bunny potty trained, they tend to go in the corners so she just cut out one side of an icecream container (it was too small to get over the sides :D ) and put it in the corner of the room.

sounds like your doing a great job, good luck

well today is not a good day. the bunny has eaten reasonably well & drank alot up until now. But it is now not eating, doesn't want to be held which is what it has wanted more than anything in the time we have had it & its running around with no balance & falls over. I think the end is neigh. :(

can't stay for long on here, as im falling behind on an assignment.

But you do need to raise his blood sugar levels. either plain glucose, or honey will help. he may not eat it directly (in fact he almost certainly won't) so you will have to force feed him.