Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

X-linked Swordtail guppies

Featured Replies

Hi all,

I'm looking for an x-linked swordtail guppy line for a breeding program I have in mind but I'm not even sure if there is such a line in NZ!

Does anyone have one? or know if they are available?

Thanks heaps,

Take care,

Ian :0)

  • Author

A guppy with a swordtail, the gene for which is carried on the X chromosome.

Means that for the male to exhibit the swordtail trait he had to inherit it from his mother.

I don't know if Im right, but I think he means he wants guppies that have a sword shaped tail (gene for which is x-linked), and not a guppy x swordtail.

I think.

Ohhh!! :oops:

Yes Tracy,

What Hitchi wants is the same guppy you wanted from me. :D but females.

Cesar

Hi Hitchi,

Here's a picture, this one looks ugly but shows you the darker swordtail markings which means she is carrying the swordtail gene.

Wildfemale1.jpg

  • Author

In that case I think I have some already!!!!

Thanks for that Cesar, I didn't know there was a way to tell with the females.

Does the same hold true if you have no idea if there is sword in the line or not? My red mosaic male is breeding with a "sister" from the same mixed guppy tank. All of the female offspring from this pair (10 in the first drop) have markings on their tails, whereas the males (only 5 in the first drop) have plain tails at the moment. The drop was around the 10th August. Several of the adult males were swords and I have a heap of "brothers" that are also double swords!

Thanks again for the info Cesar.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.