Algae taking over!

gem_scott

:-? Every year this gross algae takes over my pond!

It never hurts the fish or the plants but it looks horrible and i want it gone!

I will put some photos on of it tomorrow but just before i do does anyone know of a good multi-algae killing something that is safe for the fishies and plants and will permanently remove it?

We have used several (cant remember the names) and it just returns year after year.

If you dont know what i should use do you know what could be causing it?

Any info would be very helpfull. :)

the brown strings are not part of the algae, they are roots of the Duck weed type plant we have

The pond is about 3x2m but as you can see its not square so i cant really tell, the lowest part is about 1.5-2m deep. It is not filtered but we do fill it up with the hose a couple of times a week so it does get fresh water, its still.

It does get full sun for most of the day, up until about 4pm

• 4 weeks later...

Hi gem, I'm not a pond-person and I can't identify that specific kind of algae, but I have had to deal with algae in my tank so I can give you some general ideas. I hope someone else will come along and help you with specifics.

Algae-removing chemicals may kill off the algae temporarily, but they will never resolve the problem permanently. In fact they might make it worse because the dead algae will rot and cause extra problems in the water!

Algae thrives where there is a lot of nutrient in the water, and plenty of sun. Obviously you can't move the pond out of the sun, but is there any way you can stop nutrient running into the water from surrounding land, or plant more marginal plants that are high nitrate users? That will mean there is less goodness in the water for the algae.

Is there a compost heap or garden near the pond? Do you put fertilisers on the lawn nearby? Is there anything else that could be leeching nutrients into the water?

Also extra water movement may also help, if this is a type of algae that likes still, low-oxygen water.

Then there is physical removal - which I would recommend anyway so it doesn't rot and cause more problems. You might need to rake it out of the pond, then take it away from the area and put it on your garden as mulch - to make sure it doesn't rot and release nitrates back into the pond again.

The fact that it is seasonal suggests that there is a certain combination of factors that cause the algae bloom - sunshine hours, water temperature, etc. If there was some way to interrupt this cycle you might be able to get on top of the problem permanently.

I hope that helps in some way! And I hope someone will be able to give you better advice soon.

it's barley straw :D,

I think its filamentous algae its caused by excessive nutrients (you can tell by pulling it apart which is similar to wet wool)

try getting copper sulfate, dissolve it in water then spray it directly onto the floating algae with a plastic spray bottle (it corrodes metal) although its toxic to goldfish so it might not be an option

http://ohioline.osu.edu/a-fact/pdf/A_3_09.pdf

have a read though this as well

When I had a small pond that got a similar algae I tried a product that I cant remember the name of but it looks like a blue chocolate bar. It cleared the pond and didn't harm the fish, snails or plants. My LFS told me that they sell heaps over summer to the forestry guys that use it to keep their fire fighting ponds free from algae.

When I had a small pond that got a similar algae I tried a product that I cant remember the name of but it looks like a blue chocolate bar. It cleared the pond and didn't harm the fish, snails or plants. My LFS told me that they sell heaps over summer to the forestry guys that use it to keep their fire fighting ponds free from algae.

We have used something similar i believe, i cant really remember though, over the last 5 years we have used almost every algae killer their is.

wow whats that plant in that last pic of the first set of pics though?

There are two on the far left. . . Um one is a daisy plant that has over grown and run into the pond and the lighter green one is Ranunculus lingua, dont know the common name. The plant is actually a pain! Its pretty and flowers yellow but we have to cut it back often as it overgrows and covers almost half of the shallow. The fish like it though.