Java Fern "Tropica" - apparently not

phoenix44

my javas have just started doing that, i was amazed, never seen a plant do anything like it. When i bought them they were really manky with one or two leaves each, chopped in half, so i'm stocked to see all the new bits growing.

Can you pull them off and plant them seperatly once they grow a bit?

is yours tropica, the normal or windelov?

I have windelov as well - that is picking up too thankfully.

This plant has characteristic poseidon trident shaped leaves. those are branching off.

they automatically detach once they are old and big enough - then float away and attach them selves to something.

TROPICA JAVA has never been in the country and MAF will come after you :roll: well thats what they told me on tm anyway

:o it is on the list. well.. that's what they say it is.

hmm. i shall have to re visit the list and see what i ordered in.

alan - could you please show me the real tropica. Im new to java ferns and the different types have me confused.

windelov is frilled java fern yes?

so what is tropica?

and then what is what I have? - the poseidon trident leaf one.

and then what is the normal one?

many thanks! :hail:

I don't think tropica is in the country. Tropica also have a patent on it so you cannot sell it without being licenced to tropica. Yours looks like the normal pteropus. As I understand it there is the normal, phillippine, narrow and windelov (frilled). Try a google search, there are some good pics. There are no pics on the tropica site at the moment but older ones will come up on google. None on plantgeek either.

well what Tropica did was pretty ingenious. they applied for, and were granted a species protection - effectively a patent on the plant.

hmm. well if it comes here then ill let you guys know.

Not bad for something that was probably a sport off a normal old java fern!

is yours tropica, the normal or windelov?

I have windelov as well - that is picking up too thankfully.

This plant has characteristic poseidon trident shaped leaves. those are branching off.

they automatically detach once they are old and big enough - then float away and attach them selves to something.

Wow! Really? I was so gutted when mine grew these scruffy looking leaves and roots at the end of the main leaves. I thought it made the plant look manky! Funny... how long will it take for the "baby" to leave home?

Every time I do a water change and tank-tidy I run my fingers through the java ferns and tear the babies away from the mummy plants! Then I throw them out in the compost! :o :lol: They really do make the plants look untidy. If anyone wants all the babies they can handle and is willing to pick them up, you can have them!