Average at Animates

JK

Animates have fish club deals everyweek - some real bargains to be had.

Plus there are multibuys which are on constantly on most fish and plants - eg neons, if you buy 10, the price per fish is reduced by $1.50.

Yes but the more you buy from Animates, the more you risk contaminating your own stock with their nasties.....

I dont have lots of qurantine tanks so after previous experiences, I dont take the risk with buying from there.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea JK

Thats a bit unfair

I have next to nothing to do with your local Animates and to be fair, as they dont have Killis, rearly buy anything but you cant put all braches into the same basket.

I know that I have no problems with either of the two I sometimes visit

I know that there are 3 or 4 people in these forums that work for Animates and they pride them selves on what they do.

Lets face it, we can make mistakes (all of us) but we all do our best 95% of the time.

Ive fort against this thread from day one as it generalised and was unfair to those that have great fish rooms.

Im sure there are plenty of people in here that are more than happy with their local Animates

Must be my bad luck then eh guys and probably serves me right for not quarantining anyway but there are shops I will go to and shops I no longer won't (same for any product / service really). Especially when I can get better prices elsewhere rather than having to buy 10 of the fish of the week

I see noone's mentioned Animates Botany yet, I wonder if that's a good or bad thing :)

I've worked at Animates (and once upon a time Jansens) Botany for three years, and I can't comment on any of the other branches, but Botany is pretty good when it comes to fish, if you talk to the right people. The manager of the fish section is 100% focused on the livestock's welfare and not just on selling people things, as am I. We water test all of our tanks at least twice weekly and if a batch of unhealthy fish comes in from a supplier we'll quarantine them and treat them before putting them on sale. The level of knowledge and experience among our three main fish guys is really good too, the fish manager having managed the Reptile & Aquatic section of the Zoo for a few years and worked at HFF too. Another of us is doing a degree in Marine biology, and I've been keeping fish and amphibians for over five years.

I give people the best advice I can when talking to them, even if that means telling them something better or cheaper is available elsewhere or telling them how to make something themselves. I can understand why that might not be every employee's attitude though, they do pay us as little as they can, which, for the amount of knowledge required of us, realistically isn't enough. Since the day I started working there I've been repeatedly promised a pay rise, I'm sure they're not intentionally leading me on but they're just really slack about it. My take on it is that I may as well do the best job I can though, since there's no point in being an asshole to customers - generally if you're nice and helpful to them, they're pleasant enough back and that makes the day go faster and be a little less stressful. I'm in this job by choice, because I'm interested in fish and like talking to other people who are passionate about them (on the rare occasion that they do come in :P)

Not everyone who works at my branch is thoroughly versed in aquatics unfortunately, just like my knowledge of dogs and small animals is probably less extensive than the experts in those areas simply because I've never kept them before. Everyone's been trained on the basics but if you're looking for in depth knowledge and experience make sure you ask for a "fish expert".

From the original post that store sounds pretty shoddy as far as customer service goes, that does come down to the individual store's manager though. Ours is a real taskmaster and doesn't let us congregate in groups of more than two!

I'm always at Animates Botany and the service has ranged from so good to so poor. Of course it always depends who you're talking to. The store manager their was awesome and seemed to know what she was talking about, telling me the tiny little baby fish in one of the tanks were some of her own and I had faith in her knowing she kept tropicals to. She's great at upselling too. I went in to buy driftwood and came out with three more kinds of fish food! I knew what she was up to but she was so happy and helpful that I wasn't phased about parting with my money.

Some of the younger girls i've talked to are hopeless, a few look like they don't want to be there, and when I was there last Saturday I was a little frustrated because being the weekend it was pretty busy and the only people I could talk to were busy, and the others were reading me things off the back of the box.

I do love the times when you can find someone to talk to who knows alot, or the people who admit they don't know much about fish and tell you who you should be talking to.

Even though the service does seem to vary alot, I will still be buying from this Animates as I tend to do alot of research about what I need, and if it's in store that's awesome. It's also close to home and does have a big selection. I have walked out of there having a little tantrum in the past few weeks but you can't judge all staff on a couple of bad ones.

Some of the younger girls i've talked to are hopeless, a few look like they don't want to be there, and when I was there last Saturday I was a little frustrated because being the weekend it was pretty busy and the only people I could talk to were busy, and the others were reading me things off the back of the box.

I do love the times when you can find someone to talk to who knows alot, or the people who admit they don't know much about fish and tell you who you should be talking to.

Even though the service does seem to vary alot, I will still be buying from this Animates as I tend to do alot of research about what I need, and if it's in store that's awesome. It's also close to home and does have a big selection. I have walked out of there having a little tantrum in the past few weeks but you can't judge all staff on a couple of bad ones.

In any job, especially retail, youll always get a mixture of people - some who dont get paid alot and dont really give a damn, and some who have passion and knowledge for product.

As was mentioned before, Animates staff are trained in all areas - fish, dogs, cats, birds and small animals - of course its extremely rare for someone to have owned everything and hence have that much more experience over some training. Youll get someone serving you in the fish room, and you may think they are 'useless' but when it comes to dogs for example, you might find them really impressive.

If you know more about fish than the person serving you, thats nothing to be annoyed about really, just means you should be proud of the knowledge you possess :)

I can understand why that might not be every employee's attitude though, they do pay us as little as they can, which, for the amount of knowledge required of us, realistically isn't enough.

This is across the board I reckon, you are expected to know nearly everything about everything in a pet shop and learn it on your own time or look like a fool and earn yourself a stink reputation- those that arent interested in fish (for example) when its not their area cant really be expected to spend hours each night of their own time learning about everything a person passionate about fish might know for nothing can they? For some their pay packet is more important than a great reputation with customers (/friends).

most of the important information sales people need to know about fish can only be learnt from actually keeping the blighters anyway. simply telling them that "if good bacteria is not given enough time to build up in the filter, than they will have ammonia problems and possibly lose their fish" just doesn't have the same affect as having the situation happen to you, and will probably be lost in amongst the many other pieces of information told to them.

I use the animates in Botany, to buy stuff for my tanks, as they have a large selection. If you ask the young girls a tech question, they usually get the fish guy (Andrew) to come over, I have dealt with this guy for a while, and is very helpful, and seems to know a lot about keeping fish. I have never had a bad experience at this Animates. However, I have had some bad experiences at other animates, specifically the one in Ellerslie/Remuera. I wont go into detail, but it was enough to send me to other shops for quite some time.

As we have 3 birds, 2 cats, and fish, It's a weekly visit to a pet store of some description. I went in to HFF yesterday, man that place rocks.

I didn't sign up just to post this by the way :P

• 1 month later...

I have just read this thread and feel compelled to explain my experience from Hollywood. I usually don't post. But I feel so frustrated with them, I think I should vent.

I have been to Hollywood Fish Farm Mount Roskill over 8 times in the last month.(I only live 5mins away) I have only ever been greeted once and I have always had to ask for help even if I stand next to their sales counter with all the accessories, I'll get ignored for 10 minutes or more - who trained their staff? It comes across to me like a major hassle for any staff to help me out, which then makes me feel hesitant to ask for help. I get short quick answers like "no" and maybe 3 word sentences; this just shows you how much they really don't care. I have only received good service once and I think that was from the owner of the store. He spent quite a lot of time with me explaining things to me and finding a potential problem with my setup. (He also got a sale out of it)

I was prompted to go to them by reading about them on this forum and how awesome they were and feel quite let down by the whole experience. Their Albany store is nice - I have been in there twice and have been greeted and helped out on each occasion. This resulting in me purchasing as well. Both stores stock range is impressive - but there is no point having the best displays if you can't back it up with helpful friendly service.

I have also been to nearly every Animates store in Auckland to check out all there fish rooms and would have to say the Botany Store is great - MT Eden and Westgate store are really good also. I have always been greeted nicely by their staff in those stores and always made to feel welcome. I have asked for their fish expert and they have always been more than helpful and confirmed what I have already learned by reading and learning on this forum. Thus resulting in purchases. My wife has had mixed experiences with buying stuff from them though for our other pets. So I guess it does depend who you get.

I have spent well over $2000 in the last month and always reward the stores that help me the most in terms of advice and friendly service. Animates has notched up well over $1700 of that $2000. While Hollywood only $300. (While I also knew that I could have saved quite a bit more if I did shop and buy everything from Hollywood) While I’m a strict believer in supporting the little guy like Hollywood, they would have to improve there basic level of service for me to spend anything there again. Their attitude to customers does not match their fish aptitude

I have been to Hollywood Fish Farm Mount Roskill over 8 times in the last month.(I only live 5mins away) I have only ever been greeted once and I have always had to ask for help even if I stand next to their sales counter with all the accessories, I'll get ignored for 10 minutes or more - who trained their staff? It comes across to me like a major hassle for any staff to help me out, which then makes me feel hesitant to ask for help. I get short quick answers like "no" and maybe 3 word sentences; this just shows you how much they really don't care.

I have to say that I have only been to Hollywood Fish Farm Mt Roskill once as I live in Welly, and although I was also impressed by their stock, I had the same experience as far as getting any service. Had to wait ages by the counter and the person who finally did help me barely spoke or made eye contact. Thank god I didn't have any questions and just wanted my fish so I could hit the road...

I chalked it up to them being understaffed or busy or something, but if it is a trend then hopefully the owner will read this and give the staff a pep talk...

Hey Clounge :P I too have had this experience at MT Roskill, but they have a lot of the stock no one else has, and the price is right ($300 cheaper on an AquOne aquarium than Animates?). It seems to me that Albany staff are much nicer to deal with. When I got to Roskill, I get the feeling that I am not worthy, or am not as much of an expert, and I shouldn't be there. The exception being one of the younger guys there, he is as helpful as can be, he always acknowledges my presence, and is never short of advice and service. Generally speaking, the weekend staff are brilliant.

Brennos; go over the south-eastern highway, thru onehunga, up the south-western motorway to hillsborough, right at the lights, left at the next lights, straight at the round about and you're there in about 15 minutes from Pakuranga (on a good day anyway!).

I think we would get a similar rating...for instance...

"Some members are very helpful and quick to offer good advice. 8)

Don't take any notice of the young guy who posts on Wednesdays though as he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does! I took his advice and wiped out all my guppies! :o

There are several members who only post negative remarks or object to, or refute, what someone else has posted. Their way is the only way and everyone else has no idea what they are talking about :roll:

A lot depends on what time you are in there. Evenings are best as you can get a good range of answers but don't bother going in early morning as you will likely be ignored for some time, no matter if you have posted a question :-? "

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PS. No reference was made to any particular member here, it was all hypothetical!!!

I guess at the end of the day, we all have our favourite LFS.Personally i have always had great service from Botany Animates, Andrew and Eric are very knowledgeable and always willing to go the extra mile, even ordering fish in for me. I have used HFF and i found the service to be ok nothing special but they do have an awesome selection of fish and equipment. I guess its all about building up a positive relationship with our LFS. :D:D:D

Wanted to add that i think its great that HFF have a high presence on here... :bounce: :bounce:

I think we would get a similar rating...for instance...

"Some members are very helpful and quick to offer good advice. 8)

Don't take any notice of the young guy who posts on Wednesdays though as he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does! I took his advice and wiped out all my guppies! :o

There are several members who only post negative remarks or object to, or refute, what someone else has posted. Their way is the only way and everyone else has no idea what they are talking about :roll:

A lot depends on what time you are in there. Evenings are best as you can get a good range of answers but don't bother going in early morning as you will likely be ignored for some time, no matter if you have posted a question :-? "

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PS. No reference was made to any particular member here, it was all hypothetical!!!

I love it :)

It's funny because its true!

I guess at the end of the day, we all have our favourite LFS.Personally i have always had great service from Botany Animates, Andrew and Eric are very knowledgeable and always willing to go the extra mile, even ordering fish in for me. I have used HFF and i found the service to be ok nothing special but they do have an awesome selection of fish and equipment. I guess its all about building up a positive relationship with our LFS. :D:D:D

Wanted to add that i think its great that HFF have a high presence on here... :bounce: :bounce:

I agree, I think in the overall picture, the members that are on this forum tend to be knowledgeable enough to source their answers from different places and not rely soley on the 'expertise' of one person. We are on here because we care, in like the many people that walk in wanting to buy all kinds of fish and not knowing a thing about aquariums. Its important to find a store or several which you feel comfortable in and develop a relationship with...it will help you in the long run. We all have different priorities of what we want from our FLS so its nice to have some variety!

Brennos; go over the south-eastern highway, thru onehunga, up the south-western motorway to hillsborough, right at the lights, left at the next lights, straight at the round about and you're there in about 15 minutes from Pakuranga (on a good day anyway!).

I usually go via manukau, that new Motorway extension is awesome. But to be honest, I try and go to Albany now, it's just so much better.