Average at Animates

JK

the animates here is run by a woman with no background in animals at all, but rather came from being the manager of a jewelry store. (ie. fine with the numbers, but no clue as to the fact of what animals need)

all the tanks are run off HOB filters (fine for a small tank, but as soon as you put a few fish in there ie. petshop!, your screwed) and when they tell her that they need to upgrade the system she says there is no funds available and she cant see the point.

also what sort of person lets a pacu be put in with turtles! ill never foget seeing dat!!

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather support smaller stores like Hollywood who stock a decent selection of fish (catering for the enthusiast rather than just the easy bucks selling community tanks/fish to newbies) and actually have staff who know a bit about what they're supposed to be selling.

Small?? They don't seem that small :lol:

But seriously, they are wondeful. Everytime I've been in there the service has been awesome and all their tanks are of high standard. The only downside is there fighters, I've only ever seen decent looking fighters at ADodge's place.

Which ones BikBok?

Actually Twinkles, all the fighters that I've seen in regular tanks with other fish in shops have been swimming around and acting normal. But the ones in barracks haven't been. It's funny because even though ADodges fighters were in small containers, they were all looking great.

Sam

I have a male blue VT .. feisty thing.. and a red female VT (with some crown) , she's a real character.

I had them within line of sight for a day but the male got his breeding cheek stripes and went crazy, then went into instant bubble nest mode and all that. So I had to change things abck again.

Once I've had my tanks running for more than a year I will look at getting a big community tank and get a fancy fighter!

+1

I would have but 1) the manager and another senior staff member were the ones having a chinwag blocking the doorway and 2) the place is such a joke I wont be going back there anyway so personally no point in wasting even more of my time in that store.

As per my orig post, its not the place I would usually shop or buy fish based on prior experiences. Prefer to support Pupuke as my lfs. It's just a bit dissappointing when you get an email about their fish of the week and then pop in there to check em out and they dont even have any in stock lol. And then the service experience you get just reinforces and reminds you while you dont usually go there anyway.

i've only seen fighters in barracks at shops, i imagine they'd be much happier in tanks. I think much of the problem is that if your going to keep them in such a small volume of water they really need daily changes to keep the water quality up. I've seen one breeders fishroom full of tiny jars, all with brilliantly healthy fighters, daily full water changes, and thats what i do with my jarred bettas.

nearly forgot...

go in there and look at a tank. itt has cases of dropsy, Ich, and possibly gill flukes, i tell one of the staff... "what does that mean?" :roll:

if you work in a shop selling fish, you should have some basic training or understanding of basic diseases, and a basic knowledge of what speciescan co-exist with other species.

it would be in Animates interest to pick up thier game. but i somehow doubt its going to happen...

I was in a store recently and noticed a yellow betta looking very unhapy and had the beginnings of white spot.

I pointed it out to a staff member and he said "oh he's fine, just resting" ... but 20 minutes later , said betta was in blue water . so he must have gone away and checked with someone and at least they did something.

But why did it take a customer to notice?

I think that animates are really good! I buy most of my fish from them because that have always been friendly and helpfull.

It is one of the only shops that are happy to help every time I have been in. That my be because we are in there so often but they have never been anything but helpfully for me.

Hehe, exactly!

I think we've all figured out that:

Tauranga animates = useless

Wellington animates = one if not both REALLY good

Christchurch = somewhat bad?

I guess the thing to do is inspire the big boss to do a regional review of each store and maybe that Tauranga lady will have to buckle down and open some fish books and hire some staff that know what fish are! Its the branch manager's fault...and nothing is going to change unless they change.

Well palmy one is the same

Was very shocked to walk in and see no one around

I stood by the tanks thinking someone would come :roll:

I notice right away that wet pets is cheaper then Animates On EVERYTHING

Well I finally got away from the tanks headed to the fish and I did notice that they look way better kept then the ones at wetpets

Got sick of standing around looking like a drop kick holding the kids hands

I notice that while we where heading out the door the two stuff where reading the paper and didn't even look up

Ashame my mother taught me not to steal coz I liked the look of the big old ship :wink:

P44 and Ange must have had the day off :)

I'm only there on the weekends, and P44 is allergic to regular work!!! (Don't deny it.)

PN Animates has been severely understaffed for the past couple of months or so, it's eerily quiet on Mondays now. o.O And you can thank our new "fish maintenance guy", Robert, for the quality of the tanks. He's doing a fantastic job IMO, especially compared with what the store's previously put up with.

I reckon you should've picked up the ship and made a noisy exit - it would've been hilarious. 8) Plus it would've kept them on their toes for the rest of the day and given me something to tease them about!

I'm only there on the weekends, and P44 is allergic to regular work!!! (Don't deny it.)

PN Animates has been severely understaffed for the past couple of months or so, it's eerily quiet on Mondays now. o.O And you can thank our new "fish maintenance guy", Robert, for the quality of the tanks. He's doing a fantastic job IMO, especially compared with what the store's previously put up with.

I reckon you should've picked up the ship and made a noisy exit - it would've been hilarious. 8) Plus it would've kept them on their toes for the rest of the day and given me something to tease them about!

So if I come in on the weekend and stand around like a drop kick again 8)

holding one kid and chaseing another and putting the baby in the turtle tank :hail: Will I get noticed :lol: