Water Quality- NSW collectors; How are you coping?

djsurfs

How are people who normally collect natural sea water coping with their water changes? Switched to mixing salt? or travelling to collect water from different areas? or just risking it?

I am confused about the toxin reports; they don't seem very conclusive or have a great explanation yet! or did I miss something?

I'm not in Auckland, but it's not that far away either... currents etc. it would be nice to know what is really going on.

OK, seaslugs are toxic. have they not always been? Are the pet posionings just due to extra detritus washed up after so many big storms? I always find dead penguins & fish (including puffers) after storms. Though I did see a dead baby seal this time too...

So, the fish, slugs,octopii that carry the toxin ingest it from eating algae that contains the bacteria which create the toxin. Have I got that right?

For most a couple of months with out a water change aren't an issue. Personally I wouldn't risk it.

As you said the results so far are pretty vague. To me they make no sense, as far as I know slugs don't travel huge distances, so how do they explain the distance between affected locations. If it's not the slugs moving then obviously it must be the toxic algae that is all over the place. Yet they are saying it is safe to swim etc. I have also read that the toxic algae is unlikely to be want effected the fish, penguins, and dolphins, they seems to have gone very quite on the other deaths.

I still like my DOC cover up conspiracy theory. There were eye witnesses of DOC dropping posion pellets into the sea as they were flying to one of the islands. It makes perfect and easy sense to me that as school of fish ate the pellets when they hit the water, the penguins and dophins ate the fish, and the dogs, could have eaten any of the above. :lol:

For most a couple of months with out a water change aren't an issue. Personally I wouldn't risk it.

Wow, and I feel guilty if I go 2 weeks without a WC!...

I was not trying to start another political thread, but was genuinely concerned about how people on the North Shore with saltwater tanks are managing, and of course also concerned the unknown "whatever" does not creep further afield.

I went to the beach this arvo and found a perfect looking juvenile crayfish, entire, completely undamaged (except for being dead :o ) on the beach....

Wow, and I feel guilty if I go 2 weeks without a WC!...

I was not trying to start another political thread, but was genuinely concerned about how people on the North Shore with saltwater tanks are managing, and of course also concerned the unknown "whatever" does not creep further afield.

I went to the beach this arvo and found a perfect looking juvenile crayfish, entire, completely undamaged (except for being dead :o ) on the beach....

Probably a shredded shell.