too many fish in my tank?...

fishfishfish!

:-? I've recently joined my local aquarium society, and while explaining all my beautiful babies to them they laughed and said "typical beginners tank". Now im no pro but im not a beginner... i look at my tank and i DONT think its too full, but im worried that i am allowing my eye to see it that way as i love all my fish. Anyway i was wondering whats the recommended ratio for fish to tank kinda thing??

I like my club i just want to justify that i know more then what they clearly think. :(

Is that the shop down bottom of stafford street, To say sumthing like that is unacceptable as far as i am concerned, take sum pics of your tank and post them for us to see, how many fish and how many liters is your tank.....Who was it that said that statement?

I would think a comment of "typical beginner's tank" would more refer to types of fish, and numbers of each, rather than stocking levels and not meant unkindly at all.

I remember when we first started and we would go to the shop and pick that one and that one and ohhh that one! with little thought to what went with what and overall aesthetics etc. As we learned more our tanks evolved and the inhabitants were matched more selectively.

I am not a fan of the "so many cms of fish per litre" as there are too many other factors to affect the answer. Tank size, individual fish size, filtration and regular maintenance all have an effect.

I guess you could find out, but at the end of the day if the fish are healthy, and you like the way YOUR tank looks who gives a damn what anyone else thinks?!?

Good luck and if you do find that your tank is stocked appropriately, dont hold back when telling those 'pros' where to get off !! hahaha

:lol: :lol:

:-? I've recently joined my local aquarium society, and while explaining all my beautiful babies to them they laughed and said "typical beginners tank". Now im no pro but im not a beginner... i look at my tank and i DONT think its too full, but im worried that i am allowing my eye to see it that way as i love all my fish. Anyway i was wondering whats the recommended ratio for fish to tank kinda thing??

I like my club i just want to justify that i know more then what they clearly think. :(

that was a very mean thing of them to have said.

were those their exact words?

post a pic of your tank. how big is it and how many fish are we talking?

my tank is thoroughly over stocked, but i want it that way as i have more than ample filtration for it.

that was a very mean thing of them to have said.

were those their exact words?

the meanness value would depend on the tone it was said in, and also the characters of the person who said it and the one who heard it :D

if you are happy and the fish are happy, no problem :wink:

i love my fishies. and yes it could be the types as i dont have alot of fancy expensive fish. i have the fish i like and can afford! I keep looking at the tank and yes i think they are all happy. But the more i look the more i think maybe there are too many.... but its not like they dont have room to move!

tanks about 1ft by 1ft by 2ft... 44litres..

stock.... :lol:

One male fighter

one green female sword

four female platies....

three female guppies...

three danios...

four neons...

two cat fish...

one Kuhli loach...

one clown loach...

One baby bristlenose...

one male sword...

no one is bigger then 1.5inch... duno if that helps lol

It feels like alot when i am listing them like this... LOL. But i do my best to make sure they are happy. water changes once a week. i vary the amount by how dirty the tank is. I have lots of plants and hiding places - bog wood and rocks.

:roll: Maybe i am being sensitive but i didnt enjoy the comment... I'll get a photo up sometime.

toomany001.jpg

ok so they arent all seen in the photo... and tank is divided... i have given about 1/5 to the female sword. she HATES the breeders, so i spoil her with more room... :wink:

I would say it is on the higher level for stocking, but you could keep on top of it with regular water changes..

Problems I would have is the low numbers of schooling fish you have in there three danios, four neons 1 clown loach etc... These guys would be better in larger groups but you don't really have the space in your tank to add anymore of them..

na tank seems fine in terms of numbers. ild be worried about the male fighter though, having dannios, guppies and swords in there, these fish might nip at the fighters fins, but there is allways tanks where they dont bother the fighter.

lol i can assure you he is the boss. :wink: they dont bother him... he does have a favourite platy to pick on... then i separate him for a few days.... then let him back and he behaves. his fins have actually grown SOOO much since i got him - he wasnt in a good state when i got him... now hes stunning!

i used to have the end of one of our tanks seperated off like that for the female guppies, its much nicer than sticking them in a breeder thing. Looks like an interesting and busy tank :)

Once the loach gets big and you want to get more fish you'll just have an excuse to get a bigger tank and double the schooling fish :wink: