whitespot in heavily planted tank!

A-town...

well someone forgot to turn off the co2 and the clowns got whitespot overnight they are in quarintine but fighter angels and tetras have now developed it :roll:

What are the best methods to use without killing the plants?

increased temp

medication

???

and the water quality is prestine before anyone asks and co2 levels back to normal.

what about setting up a tank for all your live stock, every last fish??? Treat all fish in there for about two weeks, make sure this tank has got great filtration, heaps of hiding places and no light. With your display tank fishless the parasite will eventually die of starvation, daily vacuum this tank to remove the infant stage of the parasite, as well as treat the tank with salt (warning: the salt can have a detrimental impact on your plants), and as stated increase the temp to 30 degrees (this increases the speed of the life cycle of the parasite).

good luck if you move your fish quickly they will still be quite strong, so shouldnt have too much of a negative impact on the fish.

well someone forgot to turn off the co2 and the clowns got whitespot overnight they are in quarintine but fighter angels and tetras have now developed it :roll:

My CO2 has been running hardcore for nearly a week, does it give fish whitespot?! I've only got a naughty Platy in there but still...

I'd suggest a hospital tank for treatment, dosing in the main tank is usually a last resort.

I would be treating the Tank that the Fish were in when they got Whitespot.

No good treating them in a Hospital Tank, then reintroducing them back into the Tank they where in when they got Whitespot, it only takes 1 or 2 of those little Cysts to be remaining, to start the whole cycle off again.

I wouldn't be mucking around with salt etc, I think your better to treat with meds and get it sorted quickly, before it gets out of hand.

Most meds used for whitespot at the suggested concentration will not be too detrimental to plants. Some meds that do are formaldehyde and flourish excel. I have used tonic, malachite, meth blue, acriflavine, quinine, mepacrine, copper sulphate, furan 2 and a few antibiotics without any problems that I recall.

WOW. thanks for all the replies people!

I may try a weak blue circle white spot treatment first.

as phoenix said I am more concerned about the plants than the fish. fish are easy to replace but not some of the plants I have :(

I removed the clowns and they are getting a lot better.

Its not very severe whitespot at the moment with only a few spots on fins not intire body covered. And yes I know I need to treat asap.

is there anything more natural.

only thing with most treatments is its going to mke silicon blue :evil:

I have never had trouble using malachite on cardinals or neons. Although malachite green is no relation to malachite the copper ore, many fish which are sensitive to copper are also sensitive to malachite green but as far as I know this is not so of tetras.

From Wikipedia, Malachite green is known to be highly toxic to certain freshwater fish such as tetras, catfish and shark catfish. It is strongly recommended that half-dosage be observed in treating freshwater tanks with catfish, tetras, scaleless, and other bottom feeder fish.