Flatting/moving tips

lmsmith

My partner and I have to move asap. We currently live in our parents houses, but due to his family situation, he has to move. We were planning on moving at the end of the year, so we're pretty much sorted.

We're going to view a property tomorrow. Any tips on what we should be looking for at the property?

Does anyone use Glo-Bug power or something similar? Would you recommend it?

Also, in light of Phoenix's fiasco with his flatties, any tips on flatting generally? There's just going to be the two of us, but any tips would be welcome.

Tips on flatting:

Get every agreement in writing, including how ones will pay accounts.

Get money up front for any transactions and bill payments.

Have agreed on designated areas for storing everyone's possessions COMPLETELY separate from each others.

Don't share food other than communal tea/coffee.

Don't flat with best friends.

Have a roster for cleaning and have repercussions for it not being done.

Have rules on things like stereo's late at night.

And my favourite: Have an agreed upon method of evicting flatmates.

Mine was two strikes and your out.

And always remember they are not family and 9 times out of ten they will annoy the H3LL out of you soon after moving in.

be the head tenents!!!

dont let anything slide, if you have flatties and they "miss" a payment, this can quickly become a regular occurance and can become frustrating and upsetting for you.

and remember that there are some real :evil: people out there.

im not trying to scare or be negative but you'll be amazed at the attitudes of some people.

are you looking to move into an empty house or an already settled flat?

My partner and I have to move asap. We currently live in our parents houses, but due to his family situation, he has to move. We were planning on moving at the end of the year, so we're pretty much sorted.

We're going to view a property tomorrow. Any tips on what we should be looking for at the property?

Does anyone use Glo-Bug power or something similar? Would you recommend it?

Also, in light of Phoenix's fiasco with his flatties, any tips on flatting generally? There's just going to be the two of us, but any tips would be welcome.

set out to budget right from the start, expect first power bill to be almost rediculous (usually it will include part of the month you moved in and a month after)

you wont need as much food as you think, especially since there will be no-one jacking your food.

keep in touch with your landlord, they appreciate this more than you know. +if your telling them whats happening, they are less likely to want to visit to check...

make sure that when you do the walkthrough to check for defects with the landlord that you get EVERYTHING written down, this makes it easier when you move out too. and your not going to get stung for the carpet burn that was there since you moved in...

if there is something broken, ask the landlord if they plan to fix it and WHEN! then hold them to it.

check water pressure in the taps and shower before you decide on a place, as this will frustrate you to no end if your not satisfied

ask if you can get in contact with the last tenants to check how much the power bill is expected to be, water, etc

define if the upkeep of the garden/property will be up to you or the landlord

and finnaly, if you get a 2 or 3 bedroom place, ask the landlord if you can sub-let rooms, and have this on the tenancy agreement. cos if you decide to get someone in, the landlord will want to know about it, and if the tenancy says 2 people only your in breach...

just what i learnt recently since my partner and I got our own place.

I love all of VinsonMassif's and Cricketman's points.

I'd say the opposite to bronze-dragon, don't be the head tenants. Either get a contract where you are all named on it and everyone signs, or sublet off someone else. Being the main people on the agreement means that if anything goes wrong, you're the one the landlord will come to. Doesn't matter if you didn't do it.

Some additional points of my own:

Establish the rules for parking / garage use. Might mean someone pays more for the privilege or you have a first in first served rule.

Flat accounts are a good way to make sure everyone pays for the flat expenses (utilities / common items and food). Get everyone to pay a set amount into an account on a weekly basis and ensure that the statements are made available for everyone to see. Establish rules on how payment is made for anything with additional usage such as internet access or toll calls. Pay the bills (and rent if you want) out of this account using direct debits or automatic payments.

Everyone has a different standard for cleanliness. You should establish your expectations at the beginning and enforce them so that people don't get into bad habits. Most importantly, clean up after yourself in every common area within 24 hours at the most. Unfortunately my current flatmates don't do this. Tempted to dump their mess in their rooms, including dishes that haven't been done for weeks.

I agree with all of the above, but would like to ADD, check with the Landlord when it comes to Pets, any sort of Pet :roll:

We rented out our Rental Property to some people, then we received the Registration Papers for their Dog, the Rules from us were, NO DOGS ALLOWED :roll: When we appraoched them about having a Dog there, they were adament it wasn't theirs :roll: :roll: :evil:

Excuses Excuses :evil:

Soon got it sorted when they moved out :wink:

ask if you can get in contact with the last tenants to check how much the power bill is expected to be, water, etc

You should not ask this as if the landlord gives you contact details they are breaching the privacy act and your power usage will be totally different. They could have been using fan heaters to heat the house 24/7. You might be put off by a huge power bill when yours may be very different.

I'd say the opposite to bronze-dragon, don't be the head tenants. Either get a contract where you are all named on it and everyone signs, or sublet off someone else. Being the main people on the agreement means that if anything goes wrong, you're the one the landlord will come to. Doesn't matter if you didn't do it.

One problem with this is if your name is not on the list the other people can evict you with no notice! I have been evicted before with 20 min notice because my name was not on the lease.

And if you have a disagrement with the other people and their name is on the lease too you have no way of getting rid of them

I would say:

1) Check for mould/damp carpet.

2) ask if you are aloud your tanks (some people don’t like them because they might pop).

3) Defiantly ask about having other flatmates even if you don’t intend to get them now you might in the future.

4) Check water pressure (Shower is the big one there is nothing like having a shower and not needing a towel after you have finished)

5) As Bronze said "Head tenant". If you do get flat mates they do not sing the lease and you can evict without reason and notice if they do something stupid or you just realise you don’t like them.

6) Ask what parking is available e.g. on street some areas have to pay for resident parking.

7) Look for bus stops in the area

8) Don’t be too pushy with the landlord till you have signed the paper e.g. when will this be fixed... do it NOW... hurry up...

9) Look at the flat more than once. It is good to look on a sunny day and a wet/dark day to see if it nice and warm on a good day and make sure there are not drafts and leaks on a bad day

:D :lol:

Dont live with my ex-flatmates! :lol:

with flat accounts - have one account holder who can have eftpos facilities and can sign severally (alone), and the others should be joint account holders needing 2 signatures.

that way 2 people are needed to withdraw funds, and everyone has to sign to release people off the account.

definitely have rules about when washing machines can or cannot be used or other such loud apliances- have rules for sounds off (10pm at my house).

Dont live with my ex flatmates. :lol:

and have everyone on a fixed NZ tenancy agreement. That way if they leave they have to pay rent till you fill out a change of tenancy agreement and sign off the old ones and sign on new ones.

everyone has to sign, and even a majority ruling is not good enough.

oh and locks on your doors are a must if you are living with other people.. no matter how honest you think someone is, theyll do you in right when you least expect it... lol

another good idea is to go and sit outside a place your looking at and listen, esp a sat nite, and on a monday day. see what the traffic, noise, etc is like

i live in an industrial area, so i was expecting most noise during the day, but come nightime, its quiet as, no close neighbors, so can blast the music if i feel the need, which i often do :wink:

try and survive the first month or two on your own if you getting your own place and thinking bout getting a flattie in, just so that you can get settled and also so you can give a definitive cost of living (ie 96/week incl power, water, phone and net, buy own food) over-charge slightly even, but match it, into a seperate acc, and pay all your bills from it, so that there is no confusion over where the money is going. anything left over at the end of the month can go towards cleaning goods or toilet paper etc, or if there is enough a box of beers for the flat.

have regular meetings to discuss whats going on, make communal areas a haven, esp kitchen (no-one wants food poisoning) ive taken to having only enough plates and cutlery for everyone to have 1 plate, 1 bowl, 2knives, 1spoon, 1fork etc etc when flaties havent cleaned up after themselves. and hidden the rest away. not a popularity contest! lol

basically try and set out things the way you want them from the start, decide on your expenses, and what things you need to pay off. make things as simple as possible by putting together 1 cost to a flatmate if you get one. budgetting is key! make sure you know what your getting into, and your rights.

youll be fine, and most of all

ENJOY IT! :bounce: :bounce: :lol:

You should not ask this as if the landlord gives you contact details they are breaching the privacy act and your power usage will be totally different. They could have been using fan heaters to heat the house 24/7. You might be put off by a huge power bill when yours may be very different.

you can ask the landlord to ask the tennants on your behalf, though. (should have siad it that way the first time)

and while that is true that power usage will be abit diff, it can still give a ball-park figure.

shop around for power companies too

oh, and if you end up living withthe landlord, you can legally be evicted in 24hours, but, it makes it bloody handy to get things fixed! one of my better flats was like this.

One problem with this is if your name is not on the list the other people can evict you with no notice! I have been evicted before with 20 min notice because my name was not on the lease.

If you are subletting, I'd suggest getting a contract of some sort so that you can't be evicted like this.

I've seen people ask the landlord to get an extra clause on their contracts that covers an eviction process for an individual on the lease. Personally I'd prefer this kind of approach with all the names on the lease.

Any gut feeling you get about the landlord's inclination to fix stuff (or not) WILL BE ACCURATE.

I recommend rental agencies, then you have a manager who is a neutral 'go between'. I have no idea who my landlord is, I just let the manager know stuff needs fixing and they get onto the landlord.

Though sadly my current landlord is really slack when it comes to fixing stuff, doesn't want to spend any money. I am thankful for having the property manager to poke them on my behalf 8)

Find out how long the landlord has owned the property. Any new work will then stand out as being something they did to improve the place.

And elderly neighbours ROCK - (to generalise) quiet, friendly, home a lot which helps with security, and they tend not to have late night parties.

from a landlords perspective -

make sure you have permission to sublet, normally you sign an agreeement with the number on tenants written on it

check who is paying for water (and waste water), don't know if it will apply to you

and for your sake

make sure the bond is lodged and you get a receipt

don't flat with someone who owns the house and is using you to pay the mortgage, they will probably be anal about the place

you can get a form which you fill in and this requires the landlord to make repairs within 10 days. Use it and keep a photocopy.

Make sure you write down on your agreement every last dent, ripped piece of paper, broken fence planks etc.

Definitely check if you're allowed to sub-let, and then TRY NOT TO!!

If you can afford to live with just the two of you there, then do so as it will make everything a lot easier.

Make up some flat/house rules, write them down and pin them up somewhere that you both can see it. Laminate it if you have the money. :P

Decide how the cleaning, cooking, shopping will be done, by who and when. Also decide how you want to pay bills and who's name they'll be under. I'd recommend having the power under one person and the phone/internet under the other.

EVERYONE'S name should be on the tenancy - this protects everyone if one person doesn't pay the rent. Still set yourself up to be the main contact between the landlord and your household though, having a good relationship with the landlord will mean a good reference for you.

Locks on your bedroom doors is a great idea. I miss mine. :(

And as Lindyloo said, make sure you get the landlord's approval for any and all pets FIRST! Fish included.

Definitely check if you're allowed to sub-let, and then TRY NOT TO!!

Oh definitely!

Though if you have not flatted before then you won't fully comprehend the hell of living with others, and therefore won't appreciate just how worth it living alone/just with a partner is.

I maintain that what you save in $$ flatting with other people, you more than spend in hassle.

Yeah, for me living without flatmates means living beyond my means (using my savings, not credit!) and hoping like hell I get summer employment, but there is no way I would live with others again.

Yeah it gets lonely, but I can deal with lonely a lot better than stressful and feeling uncomfortable in my own home when things get annoying.

smcoleman - what is a glo-bug?? (I am assuming NOT the cute glow-in-the-dark things we had as kids ;))

Went to the flat viewing this morning, and it looks pretty good. It's nice and bright and airy, no backyard to tend to, and in a good quiet street. We got to talk to the current tenants, who said the house is warm, sunny and doesn't get the wind. Water pressure looks good, and he said it was good as well.

Now I just have to fill in the application and fax it to them, exciting!