Varanophile

Iszac

He had possession of whites tree frogs and sold or attempted to sell some on a certain auction site. MAF prosecuted him for the illegal importaton of the frogs. However, they were introduced into NZ and they have been seen in a petshop but like 20 years ago.

I did see him post in the private trade & excgange recently wanting 4 male albino gloden bell frogs. But as to where he is atm... I have no idea.

Ye thats true. Basically, if you aren't sure about the legality of an animal that you buy in NZ, either check the legality before hand or take the risk and buy it but don't publicise it.

We checked the legality of the last one that we brought and after awhile MAF still change their minds and toke the

lot and they are no longer breathing ...

True that, ah well. I'm not siding with MAF at all but I can understand kinda why they restrict imporation of animals. I mean, look what the possum, ferret, weasel,stoat, ship rat has done to our wildlife. They're just trying to prevent that happening I suppose. However, I reckon that most people on this site are very capable of successfully holding an exotic animal in captivity without causing nationwide disasters.

True that, ah well. I'm not siding with MAF at all but I can understand kinda why they restrict imporation of animals. I mean, look what the possum, ferret, weasel,stoat, ship rat has done to our wildlife. They're just trying to prevent that happening I suppose. However, I reckon that most people on this site are very capable of successfully holding an exotic animal in captivity without causing nationwide disasters.

You missed the one that kills the most of the wild life here and you may have one yourself and that is the

CAT

i'm with maf, i live in the country so get to appreciate the native birds etc alot & wouldn't want it any other way.

As for keeping exotics, none of us have an issue keeping them without them becoming a threat to natives but selling them to others is the first big mistake.

The National Audubon Society has declared that “worldwide, cats may have been involved in the extinction of more bird species than any other cause, except habitat destruction.”

Feral cats should be culled (sadly...). Pets should be spayed or neutered AND any outdoor cats should be forced to wear a loud bell.

How do you get your exotic lizards if someone doesn't sell them to you?

on the hush hush, word of mouth etc not buying/selling of TM. To get something something your not supposed to have & be able to keep it you shouldn't be telling the whole world about it. :)

i'm with maf, i live in the country so get to appreciate the native birds etc alot & wouldn't want it any other way.

The problem with the current approach is that it drives everything underground. I bet there is loads of stuff here that shouldn't be, NZ has a huge coastline and I bet there have been countless reptiles/birds/fish/god only knows what else smuggled in, carrying all sorts of unknown and unwanted diseases/parasites etc.

The current system is a joke, and its based on one thing only (and its not protecting the wildlife....)

One of the problems is that there are people who want to have reptiles because they know they are not permitted. I agree that the present system does not work too well but it may improve before too long. If there was no market for ilegal reptiles there would be no insentive to smuggle.