WTB- Baby Budgie- Auckland

SamH

I'm wanting to buy one baby budgie, just old enough to be eating by its self. Not too keen on yellows and greens, greys, whites and blues preferred but anyone will be considered.

Must see pictures.

May be willing to ship but pick up would be better.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww pretty bird Mark :D

Sam, I have one of Marks birds, a cocktiel. I recommend a trip to Tauranga to check out Living Arts awesome home and pick the cute budgie up :P

P.s. Mark, how the heck do I teach echo not to scream all the time LOL he never shuts up! Worse than the kid :P

It is attention seeking behaviour lol

If I leave the lounge/kitchen/dining area, which is open plan and where his cage is. He squawks nonstop until I come back. Or if we are in the area and haven't let him out of his cage to play with us he starts. LOL he even tells himself to shut up and then continues to squawk!

We have tried taking him and his cage to the spare room as punishment but it works while he in in there, as soon as we let him back out he starts again.

He has been doing it for the last couple of months

it is cockatiel for hey everybody here i am

he is getting to that age, young man wants to be attractive to the opposite sex :wink:

he might settle down when he matures more

you can try distracting tricks when he starts, a water pistol can work

when he starts to screech a squirt will usually divert his attention away from the screeching

repetition and consistency is vital though

don't squirt him from too close a range

also try covering his cage when he starts as well

some use a clicker as a diversionary tool

if he is on you does he shut up?

phoenix may have some other tricks to share

it is cockatiel for hey everybody here i am

he is getting to that age, young man wants to be attractive to the opposite sex :wink:

he might settle down when he matures more

you can try distracting tricks when he starts, a water pistol can work

when he starts to screech a squirt will usually divert his attention away from the screeching

repetition and consistency is vital though

don't squirt him from too close a range

also try covering his cage when he starts as well

some use a clicker as a diversionary tool

if he is on you does he shut up?

phoenix may have some other tricks to share

He dosen't screech when he is sitting on any of us, just talks non stop lol

Hello echo, hello echo, kiss kiss echo, scratch echo lol

that's cause he wants attention.

get him new toys and rotate them around. new colours, textures shapes.

let him sit on your shoulder for however long (as long as you trust him to stay there).

then when he is tired enough let him go back to his cage and he should be sweet.

also what are you feeding him?

I had a friend who had a Bird that used to do this, everytime we went for a visit this blastard bird would be screaming :lol:

They used to go over to his cage and cover him up, never heard a peep out of him after that.

He obviously got the hint that "they aren't intrested in me right now so I might aswell shut up".

that's cause he wants attention.

get him new toys and rotate them around. new colours, textures shapes.

let him sit on your shoulder for however long (as long as you trust him to stay there).

then when he is tired enough let him go back to his cage and he should be sweet.

also what are you feeding him?

LOl I know he wants attention :P He just happens to want it when I am busy like on the phone or something lol

He will sit pretty well but we have to have all the doors etc shut when he is out and about just in case. More so because we also have a cat and a dog :P

Will try some new toys. Thanks Phoenix

He has cockatiel seed mix from the pet shop in his cage at all times, he gets something for breaskfast every morning, ususally what ever cereal my son is eating or a piece of wholegrain toast then during the day when I have lunch he gets a snack (usually some greenery) and most nights he has dinner with us and chooses what he wants from our plates :oops: after that he snacks on what ever we are snacking on in from of telly at night lol

Did I mention he is a fat little pig :P

Hopefully the baby seen above should arrive sometime in the near future :D

But I've only ever kept finches and quails before, none of them tamed, not even close. I have a couple of light driftwood perches of varying sizes but what else do the need/like? Nesting boxes or resting platforms?

Here's the cage I have (except mine's in black):

http://www.petmart.co.nz/cart_product654-1-44.html

654-1.jpg

Thanks

Bud has 2 dowel perches and grit sheets on the bottom of the cage. He tends to eat the sheets though :roll:

No need for a nesting box as you don't want that - especially with only one bird.

As said, nothing with a mirrir or bright that he can see his reflection. This stops them talking.

Bud loves toys with bells on, or in. We got him some little balls (actually meant for cats) with bells inside and he plays soccer all over the floor with them. His favourites though are a tennis ball and a slightly larger yellow plastic ball with big holes in. The tennis ball he can pick at the fluff and the plastic ball he can pick up through the holes and fling it about.

Bud doesn't like his greens at all but does like apple, carrots and anything oaty or seed filled (biscuits, cake, muesli bars etc) and chicken :o .

He also enjoys flinging peas and corn about or bouncing through your gravy (as long as it isn't too hot).

He has cuttlefish but rarely uses it. I also added a little bird grit but I don't think he has ever taken any notice of it. He loves his seed bell but not the tonic one I bought as a treat.

He also enjoys flinging peas and corn about or bouncing through your gravy (as long as it isn't too hot) :lol:

:lol: I can just imagine you and Grant sitting at the Table having Tea Caryl, while Bud is happy bouncing in the Gravy on your Plate Caryl, he sounds like a right little Character :lol:

Would love to see a Video of this :bow: