FIN ROT

wellmax

Hi All,

Today I brought 10 Serpae Tretras, when I got them home I found most of them had frayed and eaten fins. I rang the store I purchased from and they told me all was well and this happens to these kind of fish because they are nibblers like tetra's. I'm quite sure it is fin rot because some of the fins have a white edge. Can someone tell me the best treatment available for Fin Rot out there in the Petshop world. Regards All

would acriflavine work for a mild case?

My snakeskin guppy came to em with a torn tail and it hasn't got much worse but is looking a little raggedy. I don't think it's fin rot but has not healed either. We've had him for 6 weeks in good water and I have also given him some salt dips.

ok so sometimes serpaes in particular, come in to shops with frayed edges on their fins - much like long fin congo tetras. it is not really fin rot.

so I'd say take some pics for us and post them up. it may spare you the hassle of treating the tank or fish. :D

• 1 month later...

I was wondering how do you tell the difference between bacterial tailrot/finrot and fungal tailrot/finrot...considering that the best treatment would be slightly different? Meds being Furan2 vs Tonic respectively?

Cheers, Milena

Finrot is normally a bacterial infection and with any damage like that an oportunistic infection of fungus can then result as well at which stage you need to treat for both. Acriflavine will often work as wall and is frequently used on fish that are sensitive to malachite green. It will treat the bacterial infection in the earlier stages.