Any plumbers in the house?

Fmxmatt

If there is, what steps can be taken to increase hot water pressure?

Pressure at the kitchen faucet is reasonably good, but the shower and bathroom faucet pressure is quite alot weaker.

Can you turn up pressure from the hot water cylinder, or is it a job for a plumber to come out and replace/repair pieces etc?

Cheers :)

My advice would be "Make sure you get a Plumber that knows what he is doing" :evil:

We had a plumber go around to a rental property that we own about a month ago, to put in a new Slide Shower and Temp Dial, have had a phone call from the Tenant saying there is water on the Hall Floor behind the Shower :evil:

Found that the Plumber never tightened up the hoses that go to the Temp Dial and water has been leaking down inside the wall, between the Shower and the Hall.

Now we have to Re Gib, Re Wallpaer and Re Paint, we had the whole house renovated about 2 months ago, before the new Tenants moved in :evil: :evil: :evil:

Now we have to go back and repair what was his c**k up :evil:

I have just emailed my plumber friend so hopefully will have an answer for you soon, unless someone else is able to give you a definitive answer.

Lindyloo, I would be going the plumber for his insurance to cover it as it was his mistake.

You probably have a low pressure cyclinder. If you have the money change the cyclinder to a main pressure one and shower will never be the same again :bounce: :bounce:

I got so sick of mine that I finally install an instant gas hot water system and ne ver run out of hot water or have problem with low pressure again.

Best of all I got the plumber to bring the pipe to the fishroom too. Hook it up to a shower mixer and adjust the water temp for waterchange :bounce: :bounce: . Now I don't have to heat up the water in barrels anymore :wink:

If your talking about an Infinity System Ron, we had 2 x 26's installed in the Ceiling of our new house when we built it.

Fantastic things, can stay in the shower for as long as you like and never run out of Hot Water :bounce:

I do the same thing as you, when it comes time to do Water Changes on my Discus Tank, I flick the Digital Temp Pad down to 37 ( doesn't go any lower than that) then adjust it to the right temp with the Tap, (using my Finger Thermometer) hook up me Water Change Hose and way I go.

Water Changes done in no time :wink:

I spoke to the retired plumbing inspector who suggested the following:

If you have a low pressure system the water can only run out of the hot water cylinder at the same rate as the cold comes in. If the hot water cylinder is fed from a header tank in the ceiling and then to the hot water cylinder by a galvanised iron pipe it may be that rusted inside that the cold water cannot get to the cylinder quick enough. The flow will be improved if that pipe is replaced.

There may be an airlock in the hot pipe to the shower. This can be removed by removing the shower rose and plugging the pipe outlet. Turn on the hot tap then the cold and the cold will push back up the hot line and blow out the airlock. This will only work if you have low pressure hot and mains pressure cold.

If you have a pressure reducing valve it will have a prefilter which may be clogged. If it is not clogged it can be adjusted to increase the flow by turning the pressure up until the water runs out of the relief pipe on the roof then turned down till it stops flowing.

Do not put a cork in the relief pipe as some people suggest as it will either blow up the hot water cylinder or more often implode it when you drain the cylinder to replace the element or similar. A low pressure cylinder is designed to take a 25 foot head (he is an old fella) and that means it can handle 25 foot of water up the relief pipe.

Ours are Gas and with Electronic Ignition, so if the power goes out, you got no Hot Water, bit like all of the New Gas Heaters out these days, most of them are Electronic Ignition.

Thank Goodness we have a Generator wired into the Mains, so a flick of the Switch is all that is needed to get power from the Generator :wink: