Guess the disease time!!!

megs27

I had a blue ram die which had owned for about two years and didn't think much of it as alot of people I had talked to said thats roughly about how long they live for.

The symptoms were dull in colour, off food and raised scales with what looked like little ballons under the scales.

Was told that dropsey would have 24hrs of symptoms then the fish would die so I don't think it was that as he lived in a hospital tank for nearly a week like that.

I now have a guppy displaying the same symptoms although she isn't as precious to me as the blue ram I'm wondering if I have a disease in the tank which I don't to be spread any further.

I'm trying to get a photo on photobucket but having difficulty so bear with me while I sort it out unless one of the FNZAS administrators could load it on this post :D:D

Any ideas what it is???

Hi Megs yep and im haveing the same problem at the moment over 200m guppies and so far only lost about 15 put some rock salt or aquarium salt in the tank and get some white spot cure

plus do a water change and hope it works .

Although someone else may have a cure or suggest something else

cheers Don

Well there you go then they say you learn somerthing new every day!!

The photobucket site was having techinical difficulty last night not just me using it so will try again today to post that pic so you can have a look at it.

I agree that fish can live for more than 24hrs with signs of dropsy. I dont think dropsy is actually a disease, its just the result. It means fluid build up usually caused by a kidney infection causing renal failure. Finding the cause is the problem.

Water quality is a good place to start and is most likely to be the reason the cause created the result.

Sorry to hear about the ram it is always sad loosing a fish and nice as a blue ram but owning one for 2 years is usually pretty good so it would have been getting old.

Epsom salts is supposed to help but I have never cured it.

Epsom salts and common salt temporarily reduce the fluid retention caused by kidney failure by the effects of osmotic pressure but it does not cure the kidney failure and therefore the dropsy. I have always treated it for practical purposes as being incurable. Fish are lovely but none the less perishable goods.