July 3, 200917 yr comment_315771 Just to day I recived my membership pack for the NZHS and had a look through the magazine that comes with it and noticed that another NZ herper magazine has an article on keeping jacksons chamelions can we get these publicly or just in containment. :-? Report
July 3, 200917 yr comment_315821 no they are in private hands, talked to a breeder while back. she had a few but they where really hard to raise... could be coming through in the next few years but for a good 5k at least!!! Report
July 3, 200917 yr comment_315838 Heaps of people sell them (and other species) in Canada but I wouldn't recommend most chameleons as pets though. They are amazing creatures and all and I would love to have one, but really the majority of chameleons don't do well in captivity. I think that they generally just dislike people. Most don't like to be handled and don't like the limitation of their enclosure. They also tend to get weird diseases or just stay skinny now matter how much and what you feed them. The ones that seem to do best in captivity and often breed are Veiled Chameleons. Not sure if you are a reptile pro or just starting out, nor do i know if Veiled chameleons are available in NZ, but that would be my advise Report
July 9, 200917 yr comment_316695 Ye thats what I have heard as well. Although I've known of a few people to really enjoy keeping chameleons and I have to admit, they would be awesome to watch, feed and to keep as long as the keeper has decent knowledge about them. Report
July 10, 200917 yr comment_316823 shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh MAF might be watching you never know what they will decide we can't have next Report
July 10, 200917 yr comment_316824 there a containment species don't think the public will get any Report
July 10, 200917 yr comment_316840 Sometimes MAF can be strict but I guess it's for the good of the country. Wish we could have FW shrimp though... Report
July 10, 200917 yr comment_316939 easy way to find out if they are a containment specie would to ring the reptile park in auckland. He has them, plus some other wicked reps so he would be able to tell you off the top of his head... here is a link http://www.reptilepark.co.nz/ Report
July 10, 200917 yr comment_316947 I doubt if he'd tell you they weren't containment or he'd have a million people pestering him to buy some. Best people to ask would be the authorities, but even then I wouldn't expect a straight answer... Report
July 12, 200917 yr comment_317197 Chameleons?! I didnt know you could keep them legally! Is there a complete list somewhere, where you can see what reptiles you are allowed to keep? Would be really interesting to see! Pete Report
July 12, 200917 yr comment_317198 Chameleons?! I didnt know you could keep them legally! Is there a complete list somewhere, where you can see what reptiles you are allowed to keep? Would be really interesting to see! Pete we have wanted that list now for a long time... Report
July 12, 200917 yr comment_317220 Jackson's Chameleons, as far as I'm aware, are not a containment species. But you do need permits to hold them. Any other chameleon species either is a containment species or doesn't even have ERMA approval, let alone an import health standard, but you can be sure that if they ever crop up, chameleons will be containment species. Most reptiles applied for that we don't already have will be containment from now on I believe. Report
July 12, 200917 yr comment_317224 I didnt know you could keep them legally! We don't know either... :-? Report
July 14, 200917 yr comment_317628 English is not my first language. Can someone please explain what a "containment species" is? Pete Report
July 14, 200917 yr comment_317631 It means that the animal can only be kept in containment (in a zoo or similar facility) and cannot be sold or available to the general public. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.