4x4 bighorn or mitzy Pajero

bulldogod

Ours was a 3L diesel Bighorn (not what you asked about I know) which we liked a lot. It gave good fuel economy for a vehicle of its size and weight. On a long trip with no 4WD work we could get 11km/L. As soon as you need 4WD on a steep hill, any of them get very thirsty!

I think the V6 will be reasonable if you use your foot lightly. Good on a long trip but very thirsty around town or short distances.

While I have not owned either of them, I have had to fix many in my previous life as a mechanic. The mitzis were chronic for transmission faults.

My reccommendation would be a post '95 toyota surf with the 3L turbodiesel, and arguably a much more forgiving setup if 4wd'ing is being considered than a petrol engine.

The mitzi v6 and the isuzu v6 are not in themselves hugely bad powerplants but I always smile when people buy them as it is a step towards ensuring my job security (work for an oil company!) and they will, as Caryl says, be hugely hungry around town and only slightly less so on the highway.

Been looking at the turbo surfs, but arnt the turbos really really expensive if they go? Looked at a chev blazer today, Much nicer. :bow:

Yes, kinda. A second hand turbo will set you back around $500 for a good one and maybe a couple of hundy to get get it installed. On those things it is a really straightforward job.

If you put it into perspective that they will normally do 200,000kms before dropping their guts, the savings in fuel by far outweigh any prospective servicing costs.

In saying that, don't buy a mitzy turbo diesel. They are particularly known for catastrophic mechanical failures. Nissan or Toyota are best.

my old man had a mitzy v6. he doesnt work far from home and he was filling it up with 90 bucks gas a weeks.

I had the toyota surf 3.0 v6 and was spending about the same on gas, but I second what caryl said as well, as soon as you have to put your foot into it you can almost see the needle move.

Lucid

We have a mitzy pajero 3.5 V6 it does 13.5 litres per 100k thats taking it easy towing a trailer with example 1000kg load it's 20 litres per 100k LOL chews the gas

Nice cars to drive we've had it for 3.5 years and never had any problems with it

I don't / haven't had the petrol version, but I've owned a 2.5L diesel pajero and now a 2.8L turbo diesel mitsi challenger. My only piece of advice is do not buy either.

The turbo on the challenger has died on me twice. They are in such high demand that it is rare to find a 2nd hand one. Getting them rebuilt or brand new will easily sink $3000.

I do know someone that has a 3L petrol (non V6) challenger (same engine as the pajero's) and they no longer drive it due to the cost of constantly filling it up. I believe they were doing about 250km / week, mostly around town, but spending in the region of $70 to do so.

I once had a 1988 VX Landcruiser turbo, definitely one of the best towing 4wds IMO. Infact it was so good I brought a 1998 VX Landcruiser non-turbo, but was guttered because of the lack of power compared. Still have the 88 and doing rust repairs to get it back on the road.

$80 of diesel will last about 600km, the new one should be better due to the lack of turbo.

Brand-wise, I swear by toyota for reliability and they take whatever you can throw at them.

My mother 1992 v6 turbo Pajero diesel seems to be very good on gas, not sure how may kms/L But she uses about $60-70 a week and she drive alot, And it usually takes about $40-$50 to get to Kaikoura.

Its only just starting to die now, after about 10 years of owning it and its at 290,000.