how often does a canister filter need cleaning?

JazzyJeff

If you can see how much the filter is outputing then that's a good indication. If the filter is flowing at a rduced rate then the media is probably dirty.

My filters make a sort of grinding noise when they need cleaning which is annoying but also really helpful. You can check the media when you do a water change and if it looks filthy then wash it in tank water.

It doesn't hurt to wash your sponge every week as long as you don't wash the Bio-media to much.

It doesn't hurt to wash your sponge every week as long as you don't wash the Bio-media to much.

Just make sure you do it in old tank water, not under the tap :D

We have an aqua reminder that tells us to do it monthly - must be about due to do all ours again soon

My fx5 goes 6 weeks before needing a clean , the other cannisters I do when I can see they are getting dirty or when the water flow drops and this is any where from 8 weeks to about 4 months. Only rinse out about a 3rd of the media or one basket at a time and do it with tank water or you will kill off all the beneficial bacteria and that means you will most likely get an ammonia spike in your tank.

what type is it and what sized tank is it on, whats in the tank - fish? plants? substrate, fertiliser? as they will all affect how long it will go before you need to clean it.

Tank currently empty - 215lt Aqua One Cube - Filter came with it - An Aqua One Aquis 1000. I can't decide on the substrate type and colour yet so won't be able to start filling till I have that decided. I plan to have driftwood & plants in there - Fish will be... Blue rams, BN, Guppies all currently housed in my other tanks - not sure what else yet.

If you use something like daltons aquatic mix under the gravel or sand as your substrate you will find the filter clogs faster as when you gravel vac the tank there will be a certain amount disturbed. Your filter is the smallest size for that sized tank as a good base for filtering is a turnover of 4 x the tank per hour so you will probably have to clean it monthly. I have several filters of that size (Aqua Ones but the same filter) and I like them. Depending on your filter media you may not quite manage that as generally the flow rate mentioned is when the filter has no media. Suggestion for plants is to purchase plants that do not break apart easily as this will also clog the filter and the intake. Blue rams as in ramirez like good clean water. The others you have mentioned are not nearly as fussy. Post pictures when you get the tank set up. I love looking at other peoples tanks.

I have 2x 1200 aquaone filters on my 550L Gold nugget which have not been touched for over 6 months without any probs. I also have another aquaone which a baby guppy got into over 6 months ago and it is a full grown male still inside the filter.

I also have another aquaone which a baby guppy got into over 6 months ago and it is a full grown male still inside the filter.

would the poor guppy have been in darkenss that whole time? how was it's colours? I'm amazed.. it must have eaten sucked up food.

I clean mine approximately once every 3-4 months. Not so much because they start to clog, just because I figure it's probably about time. And I get huge mats of gunk that clog the kitchen sink when I do it. Hehehe, The CF1200s are especially good at getting a suction going and making a loud slurping noise as you strain to pull the baskets out.

I have one UV filter which I use on my big male fighters tank.

UV filters don't stop disease but they do get rid of green water and free floating parasites etc. They work by the water passing past the UV bulb which radiates the germs and algae and kills them. You are not supposed to put your hands in a tank with the uv steriliser turned on.

You are not supposed to put your hands in a tank with the uv steriliser turned on.

That doesn't matter a single bit unless you have a bare UV bulb in the tank. The UV is completely contained inside the steriliser which isn't even IN the tank. There would be absolutely no UV exposure from the steriliser to anything inside the tank itself including your arms. Maybe if you have really scrawny arms and get them sucked up the intake.

That doesn't matter a single bit unless you have a bare UV bulb in the tank. The UV is completely contained inside the steriliser which isn't even IN the tank. There would be absolutely no UV exposure from the steriliser to anything inside the tank itself including your arms. Maybe if you have really scrawny arms and get them sucked up the intake.

my uv steriliser is inside my tank :wink:

When I set up my Jebo 819 it ran for 12 months before I cleaned it out (and only as I was curious to see what was in it, not because the water flow had diminished significantly). It was then another 6 months before the next clean and I haven't cleaned it since.

I have a heavily planted, lightly stocked 280L tank with small to mid sized community fish. Since some are breeding the water can't be too bad :-?