Radar detecter

bulldogod

i had a $60 one off trademe that worked.... had nothing to compare it too but worked for me, mainly for looks but had its moments, did pay for itself many times, just dont drive like an egg and save yourself money and petrol hahahaha

my navman has all the "built in"speed cameras but cant detect camera cops that I know as havent tried it as yet.

wouldnt mind a radar detecter but I just remember my nana use to have one and all the buildings with a certain alarm installed her radar would start beeping hardout! but I guess quality has gotten better?

A have a whistler cruisader on the bike, fully integrated unit. Works well. Never been ticketed when Ive been using it - and I spend a lot of time at 150+, and the front wheel in the air.

I have a cobra for the car, a $99 jobby, havent really tested it as my partner finds it annoying all the beeping.

The key thing is to get a unit that can be programmed to turn off all bands apart from Ka, otherwise youll get alerts left right and center.

my navman has all the "built in"speed cameras but cant detect camera cops that I know as havent tried it as yet.

That will only save you from speeding in 50kmh area's which is silly

The key thing is to get a unit that can be programmed to turn off all bands apart from Ka, otherwise youll get alerts left right and center.

Also one that displays the freq is helpful to tell if its a cop or not and watch out for those new low power speed camera vans :wink:

Also one that displays the freq is helpful to tell if its a cop or not and watch out for those new low power speed camera vans :wink:

You mean although the camera is very close, It would read as a 'distant' signal?

Laser detectors are also useless IMO. Their only good purpose is that once signal picked up, you know youve been pinged, and wether to gap it :D

You mean although the camera is very close, It would read as a 'distant' signal?

Laser detectors are also useless IMO. Their only good purpose is that once signal picked up, you know youve been pinged, and wether to gap it :D

Depends on your detector. Low power = only pick it up when its too late.

Re laser- www.laserstar.co.nz - Laser jammers work well, if you want a laser star one let me know, work well on bikes also

I'm using the Beltronics one, works well too.

but what Hans and Navarre said about speeding is correct to.

Don't lead, Follow. cops normally pick the car in the lead.

only go as fast as you can afford to pay. :wink:

imo radar detecters are pretty useless, at least in the states. Most localities use laser now, plus after a few years at best your unit becomes obsolete due to newer frequencies that are developed. plus the cops now keep there units off untill they shoot at you, thus you get little if any warning.

my ones pretty old not much point having it on round the city but its saved me a few times on longer trips eg chch to mot as cops in the wopwops tend to leave there radar on or they are checking the car in front of you so it picks it up,

The problem I have with traffic cops is that they set their radars to standby, and then zap you instantly.

Radar detectors are useless against that.

However, if they keep their radars on all the time, then detecting them is not a problem.

I have noted that the cops on SH 5 like to use the instant on, I got pinged twice by them for going 111km/hr

bustered!!!

thats why I believe in speeding only what you can afford. and don't ever lead