Silver arowana - how big and how fast?

Olly

I've found a silver aro that is about 35cm and about a year old

I'm thinking about getting it and putting it in my 5' by 2' by 2'

How big is too big for my tank, and how fast will it get there?

to answer the topic question silver aros can grow to 1.2m plus and are one of the fastest fish around over a short distance :D

they are able to propel their whole body out of the water from a standing start

aros can turn in a small space but too small a tank for too long can stunt their growth

if well fed they are fast growing with a 2 year old fish easily reaching 60+ cm in a large tank

as said 7 - 8 foot x 3 foot wide would be a minimum size for a 3 year plus aro

i am going to upgrade my tank for the 2 i have

by getting him at least he will have more room, but you will have to look at sourcing it a bigger home in the future

they look impressive when they get some age and size on them

Thats what I'm thinking. I'm just wondering how much I can offer for it, which will depend on how fast it would outgrow my tank, and what sort of price I could get for it once it is too big for me - There can't be that many tanks big enough for one, and those that are, most of them are already full

If its only 35cm and a year old its possibly a bit stunted. At that size it will be alright in the 5' tank until its about 20" and then it will want something longer. 8x3x2' will house it for a long ling time.

*edit*

Was it this one? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =224109819

You are actually allowed to post a link to a trademe auction that you are genuinely interested in buying. IMO its not worth anywhere near that much, for an extra $200 you could have a green asian aro which will be a better long-term option in your tank. If you want a silver you could go buy a juvi for 1/4 the price and keep it in that tank for around 18 months.

If its only 35cm and a year old its possibly a bit stunted. At that size it will be alright in the 5' tank until its about 20" and then it will want something longer. 8x3x2' will house it for a long ling time.

*edit*

Was it this one? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =224109819

You are actually allowed to post a link to a trademe auction that you are genuinely interested in buying. IMO its not worth anywhere near that much, for an extra $200 you could have a green asian aro which will be a better long-term option in your tank. If you want a silver you could go buy a juvi for 1/4 the price and keep it in that tank for around 18 months.

It's this one http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =224338497

Approximately how long would it take to get to 20" if I took decent care of it?

Depends how long its been in that tank as it may be a bit stunted, but it could still gro at an inch a month (or faster) in a good sized tank. They 5' would certainly have to be a temporary home and you should budget for something larger within a year tops.

Oh well I guess it can wait until I get my next tank

Thanks guys. If you had said I'd get a good year out of it I would probably have got it, but its not worth it if it'll be that big that fast

A typical lfs-sized juvi will be fine in that tank for a year or more., but then you will have the trouble of moving it when it gets bigger...

That and my oscar would have a very expensive lunch