Determining Turtle Age

Tsarmina

thanks

if its not raining tomorrow, i will pull them out of the pond and measure their shells. i don't think the size of the male will be very accurate for age as, from what i understand, he was living in very undesirable conditions before he was found and brought to me.

also, at what age will they start hibernating? this is the whole point of finding out their ages to begin with. if they are still too young, then i will need to get their tank set up for winter, as it gets very cold here. a few days ago, we had an over night low of -3 degrees, and i don't want to lose them, especially as it gets colder and the pond freezes over.

don`t pull them out of the pond at all!if they are still out there they will already be in hibernate mode and any disruption such as pulling them out etc will do no good at all?A bit late to be planning hibernation when we are 9 days shy of the shortest day?I also hope you have not been feeding them of late as they may still have undigested food in their stomachs which is the main cause of loss of turtles during winter.My outdoor ones have not been fed since late march.

i haven't been feeding them, but they are active in the pond. i have seen Raph (female) sitting on the bottom for a few days at a time, tucked into her shell, with just part of her head sticking out, but today she was wide awake with her head stick out of the water. i have yet to see Mikey (male) sitting still, lol. he is always on the go. the only time he stops is to bask on his rock, not that theres been any sun lately.

males are always more active than females and often take the opurtunity for a bit a rumpity bumpity?you often see them up on a sunny warmer day but the best thing is leave them alone.As the water warms up they become more active and once the temp is about 18 C you can start feeding.As a rule of thumb nothing after the financial year(31st march) and feed again labour weekend.This can be extended here and there after a few years and keeping an eye on the weather as in an extended warmer autumn/spring.