Cockroaches - how to kill them ... and not my fishies!!

LisaC

firstly, your son should be easy enough to dispatch, it is just dealing with the body afterward that gets tricky.

I know others here have done it, usually involves taping down plastic over top of the tanks, turning off external air pumps and airing out the house extremely well before taking the plastic off. Have a hunt through the archives.

Alternatively, sounds like you have a good live-food culture going ;)

We get them too :cry:

I believe you can set off a bomb if you are careful. I have not tried this myself so can't vouch for it working.

Cover the top of the tank thoroughly to seal it (perhaps Gladwrap or similar) then cover with a heavy quilt or something. If you have external filters or pumps that suck in air from the room, can you lengthen their tubes so they are running from outside? If not, turn them off, it will only be for 24 hrs (make sure the tank has been cleaned and had a water change first then stop feeding the fish for a couple of days beforehand to lessen the bio load). If you only have one tank, have you considered moving it out of the house while you bomb? 24 hrs in the shed or at the neighbours and it should be fine.

Not sure if the bombs do actually kill cockroaches though. I understood they are very hard to kill. :evil:

You ought to see my pond filter outside. Lift up the lid and it is crawling with cockroaches! :-?

My son had a cockroach problem and you can get sticky cockroach traps from the warehouse, they are attracted to it and once in they are stuck, so you sit them where they are most seen, there is also a bait for above door frames, it all works well...

The female cockroaches carry the eggs in a container with them and when you kill the female the eggs will still hatch. You therefore need to use the poison about every 6 weeks in order to kill the next generetion before they have a chance to mature and breed. I have seen people spend years trying to irradicate them and would strongly advice you get professional pest control people in. They are immune to many insecticides and I know of no natural method that works. I am assuming you have the German variety. There is an insecticide that works by physically getting between the body segments rather than by poisoning them chemically but I can't remember the name.

My son had a cockroach problem and you can get sticky cockroach traps from the warehouse, they are attracted to it and once in they are stuck, so you sit them where they are most seen, there is also a bait for above door frames, it all works well...

but with the traps they are stuck on the sticky and even if the eggs were to hatch they cant get off the sticky trap, they had none in under 2 weeks...