Bird Keepers

oeminx

My mum has recently (her M'day prezzy) got 4 Cockatiels, so I just got some questions for other bird keepers on here, I think these afew?

I keep hearing around the place about "bird auctions", is there anyone who can shed some light on this?

Is there a forum like this for birds?

And one of the Cockatiels has had some of its tail feathers abit beat up and have just notice that one is bleeding a little at it's base, we thought it might be going thorough a moult as it is about the right age for its first but we are unsure, any ideas?

PS I think she might have MCS. multi cage syndrome

the bleeding feather maybe a blood feather, a newly developing feather that is full of blood that has been damaged

local bird clubs in areas throughou nz have bird sales or auctions, there should be a club in your region

by joining you get a year book that will list all of these

Bird auctions are fun :bounce:

I went to the South Auckland Huge annual auction a month or so back!

Very exciting and if you're into birds hard to control yourself lol

And birds are like fish (and in this case, pringles)... once you pop you can't stop.

keep an eye out for bleeds like that, sometimes they won't stop on their own. it's a good idea to go to the pet shop or vet and get some styptic powder to have on hand just in case. I have a quail that stubs her toe and breaks her nail on a regular basis and it's a total bloodbath sometimes :o . Cockies moult for the first time at 4 months old which coincidentally is about the time they are often sold, and they have a lot of blood feathers at that time.