Brine Shrimps

Alienara

Ok I've heard alot of people using brine shrimp eggs to hatch BBS to feed fry... I'm assuming that BBS can also be used as live food for adult guppies. Will BS be able to survive in the same aquatic conditions as guppies? If they do, are they a good organic filter for the food that falls to the bottom of the tank? Will it be possible to leave BS in the tank to breed and release BBS?

Ta!

Hi There,

Brine shrimp live in salt water so they wont survive for more than a few hours in a guppy tank.

As they die they will polute your guppies tank water

They will survive long enough though for them to act as enviromental stimulus for most fish as they hunt them down and eat them.

They have a high nutrional value so that is why most people feed them.

Some have kept them in a SW tank and grown them to adult hood ( theyanks call them sea monkeys) but there is a genneral opinion that apart from novelty value there is little to be gained from doing this

HTH

Navarre

you can buy a tin of eggs from about $60 to $80 and that lasts me for almost a year.

Makes me wonder if raising brine shrimp is really worth while at all

I keep salt in all my tanks at a rate of 1 tsp per 4 litres and will often find bbs swiming in the tank 12 hours later. May pay to ask if your guppies can live with that as well

With what it costs to by and hatch BBS why would you bother apart from the fact that it would be cool to do it.

Just scoop some outa lake grassmere...lol

For the price of 2 empty coke bottles and an air pump and tube all you need is SW and eggs and you are set for life...lol

Navarre

With what it costs to by and hatch BBS why would you bother apart from the fact that it would be cool to do it.

Just scoop some outa lake grassmere...lol

For the price of 2 empty coke bottles and an air pump and tube all you need is SW and eggs and you are set for life...lol

Navarre

i'm guessing the $60 to $80 tin of BBS eggs is from one of the guys here right? last i heard it was a one pound tin of the stuff. but yeah you're right... $60 to $80 for a full year supply of BBS is nothing... and i've no idea where lake grassmere is... T.T

Youcan buy smaller tins and cheaper as well...lol

Funnily enuff

lake Grassmere is where all our salt comes from and is also where alot of NZ grown shrimp come form

Stuff you buy in shops however is imported from(mostly) the good ol usa

I have a 100 gm tin that has lasted me ages

I also have to say that there are many here who have much more experience than me with it (nods at Amazonian, OOA, Barrie Alan etc etc)

Lake Grassmere is about half an hour from me 8)

grab some for me?!??!?!?!? lol, 100gm for a year? how many BBS do u hatch per time? so if i get a one pounder... i won't have to buy any for the next couple of years then... >.< so do we not have any guys selling local BBS eggs? coz i was reading about PJ's case and it seemed like those came from the USA as well.

where abouts do you get these cysts? do they sell them from the lake?

Ive phoned the company a couple of times and the answer is always the same.

so and so's not here but I will get them to phone you

They cant be bothered so will stick to the usa ones now