Getting into Killies

agecage

Hi im intrested in starting up a tank and trying my hand at some killies.

Was wondering were i could get some?

Ive just down loaded the club form but i wouldnt mind trying to keep some b4 i join.

Im located in Aux if that helps.

Hi im intrested in starting up a tank and trying my hand at some killies.

Was wondering were i could get some?

Ive just down loaded the club form but i wouldnt mind trying to keep some b4 i join.

Im located in Aux if that helps.

Im away this weekend so wont be available but get in touch next week and come have a look

Im in West Auckland not too far away from Oeminx

Lyndyloo

As Killis are rearly imported we tend to offer them to each other first so we simply dont loose them to the fancy. We have and still do encourage and try to help people with them but we have also lost several specie in the past by not keeping and eye on who has them.

One of the most comon peat spawners was the N. Korthausae. No-one was breeding them and at this years specie survey, we found that there was only a single male left (I had him) and a few bags of peat that I was about to throw out. After the club survey we realise how desperate the situation was and have hatched the peat. There is now about 30 fry growing on and hopefully they will be bred again.

By being in the club, we can see who has what so that if it happens again, we can beg and borrow to save a specie

As invited agecage, get in touch next week and come around at some stage, I keep about 20 specie

Good on you Barrie :D

I totally agree with what you are saying :bow:

Hope all goes well with the Killie Fry you have.

I was going to at one stage join the NZKA, but never got round to it, I think they are the most gorgeous little Fish.

Good Luck with yours

Lynda

Mate, the best thing I ever did was join the club. Mind you, I just started with the one tank, now I have 6 and I'm looking at building a Killie Cabinet to house more tanks.

You get great deals on fish, Brine Shrimp and most important of all, knowledge.

A great bunch of people, most whom I have never met, but so generous.

Tony

you get more/stronger/brighter colours on a single killie than i've ever seen on a guppy, i spend hours marvelling at the blue, green, orange and red on my scheeli's, every colour is just so intense and so clearly marked out. The females have more colour than guppies too, especially oeminx's lovely golden australe girls, they're beautiful enough to display by themselves.

You can put different species together if they are different enough from one another that you don't get cross breeding going on, I'm not an expert on different combination but I have Australe and clowns together.

You can also put males together of most the specie if you want a display, you just have to be careful about the sizes of the fish because if it can fit in there mouth they will eat it and a killies have a big mouth.

Tell me, is it ok to put several different varities into the Same Tank :roll:

I'm thinking i's probably not a good idea to do this :oops:

Now where can I set up a Killie Tank :wink:

If you want to do this then it is best to only keep males together.

the females look too similar to each other and it is possible to get confused on which species are which.

• 3 weeks later...

I too am keen to join the Killie elite group - anyone in the Tga/Mt area into it? I currently have guppies (just a few) and some Blue Rams - I am getting another tank shortly and wouldn't mind getting some advice on set-up etc for these beautiful fish. Anyone interested in helping me out?