What sort of glue should I use for acrylic? + overflow idea

Olly

I am making an overflow box.

I can get the acrylic to do so for a reasonable price, however I know next to nothing about glueing acrylic to itself and to glass

Would silicon work? if so what type should I use?

Is there a special glue that "melts" acrylic together? (I have read something about this somewhere)

Would this modification to a conventional overflow box work to pick up crud that is on the bottom of the tank?

maybeoverflow.jpg

You can't glue perspex or acrylic to glass. For my overflow I glued a couple of glass strips behind where the perspex is sitting and used a bit of silicon just to loosely hold the perspex in place. The water pushing on the perspex holds it in place since the water level on the inside of the overflow is always lower then the tank side.

"Application Limitations

Do not use in applications where continuous water immersion is possible or in sanitary

applications."

The warning is because it will not stay crystal clear when in water it clouds a bit but stays strong and flexible

The reason I use this is it was recommended to be by a friend that I worked with at Placemakers. He was a vet before working there

Hi re the glue for acrylic there is none -only solvant which melts the acrylic (tools used small bottle and a 10cm flexible injection needle)when joining together- best to get it done by the experts as if not done properly the join will break. :o:o:wink:

cheers Don

• 6 years later...

neutral cure* works well as long there is not too much stress placed on the join. I use options that have no mold inhibitors. If its is supported in the water I think it can work well.

Neutral cure silicone is different from acetic cure which is the very smelly vinegary stuff that is sold as aquarium safe, which it is, just not on acrylic.

I see someone has mentioned a silicone type adhesive. Whilst this will work, the lifespan can be very limited with acrylic as there is little to bond to, the only proffessional way id with Weldon which joins by solvent welding so the joints are permanent and will never fail

I see someone has mentioned a silicone type adhesive. Whilst this will work, the lifespan can be very limited with acrylic as there is little to bond to, the only proffessional way id with Weldon which joins by solvent welding so the joints are permanent and will never fail

Excellent point. My comments regarding a neutral cure silicone was in reference to the bonding of glass to acrylic and not acrylic to acrylic.

Moderators, Im using the commercial account as I do not have access to the email address registered to my personal account and therefore cannot get a password resent. I would love to rectify this with your help.

Thanks Greg

You're not wrong, but the person who asked the question probably found this out ~6 years ago if they did indeed try it! :)

IPS WeldOn #16 is what I've used in the past for acrylic-to-acrylic, works well. Acrylic to glass, I wouldn't even bother.