Neons with cotton mouth?

sewelld

Hi

I have 4 neons and 6 glowlight tetras. 1 of the neons got a white fungal looking disease on his back, at the base of his tail. From this 2 of the other neons got it around the mouth, which made me think it was cotton mouth.

I've managed to seperate them.

So far they've had this for about 2 weeks, colour still OK and eating OK, still lively.

I've tried the following meds:

Meth blue

Rock salt

and after 2 weeks of this there was no change, so I've done a major water change on them a couple of times to try and remove the meth blue and no I'm just starting with furran2.

What is the best treatment? How long should it be before it starts to clear up?

I've got them in an icecream container floating on the top of the tank.

All the other fish are fine.

Dave

Some say put them in the freezer, others use clove oil, some cut their heads off or put something sharp through their head or hit them with something hard. I've only recently started being able to euthanise fish myself (used to have hubby deal with it, cos I couldn't face it). I just catch them in the net, then hit the net real hard on the ground or against a wall. Seems to work. Not a nice thing to do though but its quick.

Sorry for your loss. It may ony be a low dollar value fish but clearly it still means more to you than that so good on you for trying to help your fish. I agree at this stage you may have done all you can do to try to cure him.

The quickest and most humane way is to throw them at great speed onto the concrete path.

When you do this, do they think, "ooh, whats that big thing coming towards me, I wonder if it'll be my friend...." SPLAT!

Thanks for the tips. One has died naturally overnight, so I now only have two to deal with...

When you do this, do they think, "ooh, whats that big thing coming towards me, I wonder if it'll be my friend...." SPLAT!

Thanks for the tips. One has died naturally overnight, so I now only have two to deal with...

They probably think at the last second, "Oh, a dam."

• 3 weeks later...