Melafix

BikBok

I've come across people mentioning this a few times and thought I should familiarise myself with it.

Can someone tell me exactly what it is used for and how it differs from stress coat.

Can you give me some examples of uses.

Is it something I should have on hand or does it have a short shelf life?

One of my kuhlis was scraped in a filter adventure, I dosed the water with StressCoat and he's doing ok..

would melafix have been better to use?

melafix is one product used by different fish keepers with varying results. it helps in the regeneration, and healing of open wounds, cuts, burns and similar in fish. It DOES NOT dechlorinate water.

stress coat on the other hand is primarily a dechlorinator - but also helps in building up the slimy coating that fish have. its great to use on fish when they have scratches, cloudy eye, burns, cuts etc. I think its far better than any thing else on the market, and i personally use it too - and you cannot overdose on stress coat. its also the more holistic approach to solving fishy problems.

In a commercial environment, I use melafix and formalin in a hot water solution, and keep the shops fish nets in. that stops nasties from spreading from tank to tank, and with a lot of tanks nothing is worth taking the risk. plus melafix makes the fish area smell all nice lol.

HTH

ok thanks..

So I don't really need it unless a fish gets an infection??

How would I know. I'm keeping a close eye on my kuhli , will his skin colour return? and how long should it take. (he has some white scratches /patches down one side after he went up the filter , posted pic in another thread.. kuhli up filter)

Does melafix affect the biological filter at all?

In a commercial environment, I use melafix and formalin in a hot water solution, and keep the shops fish nets in. that stops nasties from spreading from tank to tank, and with a lot of tanks nothing is worth taking the risk. plus melafix makes the fish area smell all nice lol.

What mixing ratio do you use and how long does it keep for this use.

most people don't really need melafix.

then there's the theory that it doesn't actually work

You're better off with stress coat.

most people don't really need melafix.

then there's the theory that it doesn't actually work :lol:

You're better off with stress coat.

OK, I'll stick with what I know then ... the stress coat doesn't seem to hurt them and is probably helping them.

I have never had melafix do anything for the fish, also if you do need it someone once told me to read the active ingredient on the back and get it from pharmacy/heath shop apparently it is cheaper I haven't looked into it though..

Same can be said for stresscoat really.. I have never had it do anything and to me it seems to be only highly recommended by people that work in a petshop and base their knowledge on what they would sell to customers and what is written on the back of the packet. If I have a fish that has been injured I use rock salt and that seems to clear them up, I know quite a few people with many tanks and none of them use stress coat and there seems to be quite a bit of info on the net. It seems the area of fish medicines has pretty much no rules and alot of it isn't tested scientifically just based on manufacturers claims, some even say that aloe vera is very bad for fishes gills.. Of course that is all my opinion based on what myself and others do and reserach I have done.. I would hate to think how much stress coat for my 26 tanks would cost for water changes each week :o

HTH

Crikey. :o I am not even close to being a fish expert but I do have a degree in chemistry and I use formalin (a solution of formaldehyde) in preserving biological tissue samples so I am aware of its considerable risks. I would caution anyone against using it unless you absolutely have to. It is a significant carcinogen and even the European Union has just banned its use for embalming people due to its links with cancer deaths among those who use it regularly (the same exact chemical as that used in treating fish). Additionally, formaldehyde is a noxious gas and can seriously damage mucous membranes and respiratory passages in people. It should only be used in a well ventilated area, and all direct skin contact should be avoided. Formalin is an aqueous solution of formaldehyde and while somewhat stabilised it should always be stored in a tightly sealed, light protected container. It should never be cooled to less than 5 degrees C or heated over 70 degrees C as extremely toxic compounds can be produced.

I would say that a 1:200 (5mls/1L) solution of hypoclorite (pure non surfactant bleach) would be a better surface disinfectant for nets (not put into IN the fish tank!) since it is very easily rinsed off with water leaving very little, if any, residue (a dechlorinator could also used afterward if one were worried). :wink: This type of solution would also be much more effective than formalin at killing pathogens and parasites such as fungi and arthropds. Hypochlorite is corrosive so should only be used as a dip (again, NOT for fish, only for external equipment!) rather than a soaking solution. It also evaporates easily producing caustic fumes so containers should be kept sealed when not in use and replenished regularly with fresh solution.

Just my 2 c.

:D

A 5% v/v solution is 5mls/100mls. :D A 10% solution of formaldehyde is the strength used to preserve biological tissues samples in the hospital. It will well and truly pickle your skin upon contact and can build up and predispose the skin to cancer. :( If you smell the lovely tea tree oil vapors from the Melafix, you will most certainly be breathing in toxic formaldehyde. It is very serious stuff and since we know it builds up in tissue, any contact is too much. Take care everyone, and spread the knowledge! :D

:bounce:

A 5% v/v solution is 5mls/100mls. :D A 10% solution of formaldehyde is the strength used to preserve biological tissues samples in the hospital. It will well and truly pickle your skin upon contact and can build up and predispose the skin to cancer. :( If you smell the lovely tea tree oil vapors from the Melafix, you will most certainly be breathing in toxic formaldehyde. It is very serious stuff and since we know it builds up in tissue, any contact is too much. Take care everyone, and spread the knowledge! :D

:bounce:

:o are you serious? OMG! Is there a warning on the bottle? Surely if this was the case it would fall into a dangerous goods issue and those selling it would have to be warning people?

:o are you serious? OMG! Is there a warning on the bottle? Surely if this was the case it would fall into a dangerous goods issue and those selling it would have to be warning people?

It is very true, unfortunately. :(

In the veterinary industry we have strict health & safety guidelines for the handling of formaldehyde in the workplace. It is a very useful chemical for preserving tissue samples. I have never personally bought or sold it so not sure of the retail labelling. I can't imagine why there wouldn't be very strict handling instructions tho... :-?

Under the HSNO Act in NZ, formaldehyde is a category 1 carcinogen (a proven human carcinogen). The advised maximum daily exposure for any person in NZ is 1ppm (a very, very small amount). If you want more details on the specific cancers (from vapors and direct skin contact) the US government has a useful website: http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/formaldehyde/recognition.html

1PPM maximum daily exposure is actually quite a high standard considering that it is a gas in solution and that standard relates to an industrial situation and continuous exposure for 8 hours. I have no problem using it to medicate fish assuming it will not be toxic to the fish in the manner used. I would not want to use it in an open bucket to soak nets in where the formaldehyde can fume off even though I would suspect any fumes would be way below 1ppm.

Chlorine gas is a highly toxic chemical and was used to kill soldiers in the first world war but is frequently present in drinking water at around or more than 1ppm. Bleach is a solution of HTH which releases chlorine gas and will fume from an open bucket as well. The main thing to remember with formalin is that it can produce compounds during storage that are very toxic to fish so do not shake the bottle when using it and decant the liquid to leave any precipitate behind. Keep formalin from contact and don't breath the fumes.

Any chemical used as a medicine is likely to be toxic (that is why they work) so should be treated with respect.

Ureaformaldehyde is used in the manufacture of many modern building materials and will fume off formaldehyde (presumably at acceptable levels).

• 2 months later...

ok , i have been using melafix in my 20 ltr tank to treat one of my pond fish tht had pimple like spots on its head area. the spots have almost dissapeared and are now like a translucent fuz (as opposed to pimple like white heads) i used 2.5 ml per day 4 2 weeks and have reduced to every second day as fish seemed to be almost better in conjunction with this i am using aquarium salts and changing a third of the h2o everytime i medicate. i now have a new prob the second fish i removed from the pond (as it had one small spot) now has two tears in its tail. it was only one but now has a second the complete tail is still there tho and has not rotted (yet)so do i cont with melafix and salts, just salts, or try something else? will the tail heal or is it the start of sumthing? OH and i should add that the tank has a glass lid with a small corner missing (for the elec cable of the filter) where a cat(we have 3) 'could potentialy put its paw in...tho i dont know if this is what has caused the tears????? oh AND is the melafix itself toxic? as the tank is in my daughters room! or is the formaldehyde(sp) and addition tht others add and its not in melafix itsself? (as interestinly there is no list of ingerdients on the bottle.

thanks in advance

Tail tears are common and they will heal on their own but the Melafix may speed up the process.

My bottle of Melafix has on it; Contains Melaleuca CAS#8008-98-8 and inert ingredients.

When I looked up the Melaleuca bit I found this. Once on that page, click on the Risk Satements! Interestingly, apart from the carcinogens (plus lots of sentences starting with 'harmful, toxic, or very toxic), it also says Very Toxic to aquatic organisms, Toxic to aquatic organisms, Harmful to aquatic organisms, May cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment, Toxic to flora, Toxic to fauna. :o :-?

My bottle also says; Warning. This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer or birth defects or other reproductive harm.