so what's the deal with bristlenoses ?

BikBok

I'm thinking of getting one for my tank in a couple of weeks but I've seen on these forums and elsewhere that some people are just dead against them. Why?

He will be in a 34L tank, and am I correct in thinking he might get to be 10cm ?

I was looking at small algae eaters and the Oto looks interesting but less hardy , and they don't seem as readily available. Haven't even found a price on one yet.

I know I've posted a lot of questions this week but i'm a newbie and want to do things right because wee living creatures are involved!

Hmmm, people against bristlenoses that is interesting. I can't get them here but from all I read on here they are a good fish to keep, peaceful and such. It will be interesting to see what replies you get.

Caper

The only reason they would be against them is that they are not a good fish if you are getting them just because you expect them to eat all your algae. They will not. They are not too fond of algae (or mine aren't) and will eat anything else first.

I find then good fish. Active during the day, not hiding all the time. Peaceful, they are always eating my algae, not the fastest of growers taking a couple of years to reach a mature size and easy to breed. Gee even my discuss like them, I bought some 2.5cm albinos only to find my discus eating the last one a few days later. :oops: :cry:

Bristlenoses are great and grow to 6cms in about a few months but after that they're quite slow growing. Not the greatest at eating algae when they get bigger but theres quite a few people who want the bigger ones so won't be hard to swap for smaller ones.

I love my BNs heaps, I have them in most of my tanks. They do a great job of cleaning up left over food, they're cute and interesting to watch and they breed easy. They were the first fish that bred for me and I can still remember how excited I was when I first saw a male in a cave protecting his eggs :bounce: :bounce:

Yep, all in favour of bristlenoses at my place! They're so ugly that they're cute! :lol:

I have two... unfortunately they both turned out to be males. But in my 4-foot long tank they both seem to find enough space to keep out of each others' way, seem fit and healthy, and are peaceful with each other and with other fish. Between them and the SAEs I don't have an algae problem in my tank at all - but I must admit I don't know who is eating which algae. It might be the SAEs eating everything.

I love my BNs heaps, I have them in most of my tanks. They do a great job of cleaning up left over food, they're cute and interesting to watch and they breed easy. They were the first fish that bred for me and I can still remember how excited I was when I first saw a male in a cave protecting his eggs :bounce: :bounce:

I'm with you mark. I have them in most of my tanks too. I also remember the excitement of the first few batches But now its " oh god not again"...and what doesn't get sold or given away becomes food for the bigger fish. Most of the time now I keep the male in a separate tank from female and when my stocks get low I put the female back in with him and get a new clutch of eggs within a few days.

hey, can you tell me if they get on OK with Kuhli Loaches.

I've got two Kuhlis in my tank, and they are active and fun to watch, even during the day.

I would hate for them to become reclusive like many Kuhli do.

hey, can you tell me if they get on OK with Kuhli Loaches.

I've got two Kuhlis in my tank, and they are active and fun to watch, even during the day.

I would hate for them to become reclusive like many Kuhli do.

Yep I have had Kuhlis and GBA's in the same tank with no problems at all.

Bear in mind that both these species are nocturnal fish and may be active during the day if the tank is lightly stocked but I have found that the more heavily the tank is stocked the more likely it is that these fish will only come out at night when the other fish in the tank are less active.

I have also had them with kuhlis and it was fine. I think the gold bristlenoses dont grow as big as the normal ones but I am not 100% sure.

I haven't seen that. From what I know, GBA are a colour variation of common bristlenose, kinda like albino but not. They're no different in terms of diet, growth rate or temprament.

can i butt in to ask how long they take to get that big?

we need to find a new algae eater for preschool, their pleco got too big too quick. They've got a 28L (i think).

I have had a few that I have grown up and they take a while to grow. These ones I currently have are about 3cm and I have had them for about 3 months and in the time they have grown about 1 cm. However I have only ever had them reach about 7cm.

Hope that helps you :)

Caryl wrote:

Gee, I see your's didn't eat the algae but Dougstark's did...hmmm. I thought they were noted for being good algae eaters. I know each fish can be different but I always thought that was one of the reasons you folks kept them because they were noted for alge eating. Ah, learn something new everyday!

Caper

I had one in my first tank many years ago... he was a great little algae eater... always sucking on the glass. He got his own food as well which he shared with my kuhli loach.

I am just gettign back into fishkeeping so am relearning it , some things have changed (filters!) but there are some thigns I do remember ..and my BN definitely ate algae.

just to add my 5c wearth i have a 160 ltr tank with comunity fish i also have 2 bristlenose in my experance they make a little diffrence to window algae but not so much to the algae on rocks wood ect i also have 2 panda loaches and 3 clown loaches they help with the cleaning of the tank also they do a good job at cleaning up leftover food ect hope this helps

My females eat algae, but the boys don't, they just sit there with their silly bristles. The male has actually figured out to turn upside down on the bottom of the tank and let me drop shrimp pellets right on his mouth. Silly fish.