natives diet

Sharkie

can someone please give me some sugestions as to whats some good foods for my koura and torrent fish bullies and inanga.i was thinking of a bit of flake blood worms and some chopped shrimp but other suggestions would be welcome as i have never kept natives before

• 2 weeks later...

Mine get a stable diet of heart meat (with all the fat cut off, frozen then cut up into bite-sized pieces).

Live food when I can find it - daphnia, wrigglers, worms, mealworm beetles etc

You will find they waste a lot of the flake food, and don't really tuck into it with much vigour.

Apparently crayfish use plant-derived food for energy and animal-food (insects, fish etc) is used to grow. So a small koura needs lots of protein to grow, and larger ones need less, but they all got nuts for it (like us with fat and sugar!). Easy foods are sinking carnivore pellets, heart meat etc. Live food is usually too quick to get away, though worms are great fun. Otherwise frozen peas are a perennial favourite.

Torries are great. Not sure what size your tank is etc, but be really careful with temps over summer, they can be very prone to issues. They take a while to get the idea of sinking foods (they are shaped to take food from underneath them) but they get it with practise and are awesome to watch feeding.

Haven't done the shrimp thing myself but I am told it works. I am just dubious as to them being much more than water (ever seen a dried shrimp?)

Oh, I used to used bloodworms. Apart from being expensive I discovered they just don't have enough in them for fast growing fish (kokopu), that is when I got on to heart meat.

great thanks for that i will add heart to the menue of prawns and bloodworms.i used to make my own food out of heart banana spinich chopped shrimps and peas with sheels removed then mix it through a thick poridge (with no salt) then spread it on oven trays and freeze it then i could wrap it up and just break what i needed off maybe i should make some more.