killies? how many....

fishbreeder

I'm setting up something similar and from what i've been told have 1 male and 2 female of the smaller kind. 2 or more male in a tank that small and your asking for trouble... well thats what they told me lol

in my experience i did not have males killing each other. my biggest killie tanks were approx 20l and i had male striatum, australe golds and dageti together in the one tank no probs.

in smaller 10l tanks i had 6 male p82s in 1 tank, these were my favs

hopfully someone else with more experience can confirm/deny their agressiveness.

but from my experience killies are generally extremely peaceful, wouldnt hurt anything except bbs, white worms etc

I have a tank of different types of male killies together with no problems. I have hade gold and chocolate australes plus fundulapanchax gardneri blue, gardneri albino, and nigerianus gold males all in together and no problems. They do better in a planted tank I think as it blocks a bit of light and gives them places to hide. Go the male killies.

I have 45 tanks at the moment

I dedicate 2 tanks (300 x 300 x 600) for only males when I have them spare. I can at times hold over 30 in each of them with no problems at all

I try to keep sizes similar and there are some that dont mix very well.

If your keeping 2 or 3 of any specie, you will probably get a dominate male but when keeping several, I cant remember ever having a problem

I have two male and four female gardneri blues in a 35L, and they get along great. One male is dominant but they don't fight or anything, and its losely planted so they can hide if they want to.

And have two male australes like in oeminx's pic in a big tank, and they stay together the whole time, seem like friends. The females are very pretty too, much more colourful than some of the other species girls.