Barrie

Im going to buy a couple of GPS systems for my wife and myself

Navman is what I would prefer to buy as they have great backup

Ive been told that Tomtom is better

The things I belive I will need are

easy to use as Brenda has trouble turning on the computer or working the oven

updateable maps

maps for both NZ and oz

what else should I be looking for and any ideas who I would be best to see about buying from?

(Brendas lost at the moment on the north shore)

I would always go for the navman.

Ive heard tom toms are good too- i know people with them and they haven't complained about them at all.

I guess for us wippersnappers, the brand name means a lot, so that's why I'd choose a navman, plus the service is good, and the units are solid as. Slightly more expensive though.

Maps are readily available on the net. the legalities of obtaining free copies however leaves a lot to be desired for. alternatively Im sure you can buy maps through navman itself.

They are incredibly easy to use with instructions on the screen for even the most novice of users.

HTH

Hi Barrie,

As a sales manager for an internationas drug company I travelled a lot (70-80000k a year sometimes + flights)

I used just a basic Navman (didnt need a computer mp3 playing camera that spoke 67 different dialects) and it was very valuable.

You can buy downloads for most countires and also upadates every now and then.

Just type in city and or street name to get from a to b or pre program your home location and it will always get you there.

Or you can use it liek a digital map...easy as.

Onlything I have to say is take teh time to set it up how you wantit and it may not give you te fast route but it will get you there.

No replacement for local knowledge I suppose though

HTH

Navarre

i haven't used tomtom but can recommend navman as being very good. its NZ made & the people there are very helpful which often makes a difference. I worked for a company that had them installed in the company vehicles which helped us plan & analyse trips etc. The flip side of that was big brother was watching but that just stopped the slackers from slacking.

my understanding is that TomToms have bigger words on it, so if you are blind, you can read them.

also the maps seem to be bigger, I mean easier to see.

why not go into the shops and have a play around with them and see which one you like?

Hi Barrie

One bit of advice i would give you is spend the extra money and make sure that you get one with a big screen. There is no point trying to look at a screen you cant see. Make sure that the volume on the GPS unit is one that you will be able to hear over general car noise. The olds have one that they use in there motorhome and sometimes struggle to hear it (not that i am saying that you are old). We have brought both GPS's from Dick Smith and they seemed to know there stuff. We have used Garmin and Navman and my partner preferred the garmin. I like the navman better, i think it has a better picture quality. The good thing about the tomtoms is that you can download different voices for some of them and you can have Yoda or Ozzy Osbourne telling you where to go. :D

I am sure you will like your Navman. Ours has been great while we are over in the UK and have relied on it entirely. The map data in both Navman and Tomtoms id identical, incuding the errors :lol:

We have a female voice on our current one and we have called her Veronica. Our last Navman was Gavin. They never complain, go mad at you if you don't go where they tell you, and never give up on you either.

The bigger screen is a must, especially on sunny days, but we can read it more easily in the sun here than we can in the brighter sun of NZ! Not that we have seen much sun. Even when it isn't raining it is usually a dull overcast :roll:

We have ours loaded with NZ, Aussie and Western Europe, althoughwe haven't activated the Aussie maps and had to buy the WE maps as an extra. We got them all cheaper as a trade in offer as our old Navman was too old to update.

When our new replacement suddenly died just before we were due to leave NZ they replaced it with a new one within 2 days of it being sent to Auckland for repair! Can't complain about the service.

We have a female voice on our current one and we have called her Veronica. Our last Navman was Gavin. They never complain, go mad at you if you don't go where they tell you, and never give up on you either.

can it cook and clean?

Hi Barrie

The good thing about the tomtoms is that you can download different voices for some of them and you can have Yoda or Ozzy Osbourne telling you where to go. :D

(Yoda voice)

U turn execute, as soon as possible, you must, hmmmm

:D