Eel fishing on a rainy day - now with pics

livingart

wet day today, no customers and a bit of free time

so decided to see how many eels are in our stream

raided the freezer and stole a lamb forequarter (told Caroline it had bad freezer burn) :wink: , tied a rope on it and popped it in one of the pools in the stream

waited a 1/2hr and had about 30 smallish eels hanging off it and doing death rolls to tear off chunks

so i tied it to a waratah (steel fence stake) left it for an hour and then came back to it

when i got back the waratah was bent over at about a 30 degree angle and because of the rain the water was pretty murky, where the rope dissapeared into the water was a mass of writhing eel bodies that looked like medusas head with a bad lice infestation

pulling on the rope took a fair bit of effort but as the forequarter emerged

a coil of black anaconda rolled around in the boil up and the rope was pulled out of my hand :o

a quick dash back to the office and i was armed with a large round whitebait scoop net and a helper

while the helper slowly pulled on the rope i perched on the bank with net fully armed and ready

part of a big black head emerged and about 4 feet behind a tail came out of the brown soup of water, so i plungd the net in behind the tail as the head released the meat and turned to go downstream

lifting the net resulted in me flat on my back and one gumboot full of water with the net on top of me , a bit heavier than i thought it would be

i folded the net over and attempted to scramble up the bank so nice little helper dragged me up by the scruff of my neck and i dragged the mud covered net

we stood up and i flipped the net over and out slithered a large length of black drainage tube (best description i can come up with) onto the wet grass and headed back to the stream

a mad scramble ensued till it was back in the net, and after another dash back to the office the drainage tube is now cruising in the eel pool

the eels head is just on 10 inches long, body about 6 feet long and after consulting my helper weighs in excess of 20kgs

it is now the queen of the eel pool

we returned to the bait and have caught another 3, close but not as big as arnie the anaconda

wow i want one! my eel is only about 30 cms or soo. is tiny. what have you got THAT in? must be a swimming pool sized pond thing! geez you wouldnt want to meet that in the stream. ahhh. dont know if hubby would let me keep one that big he wants me to get rid of my little eel . but i had it for 10 years now. it was only 5cms when i got it. gotta do a water change on tuesday and get another filter as my filter broke.

pity you cant send one my way. LOL

can you put up a photo of you eel family?

I caught a 16kg one as a kid on the east coast north of Gisborne. Didn't know at the time how bad the eel situation is :o It would've been about 20-25cm in diameter and 1.5m long. It was in a creek about a metre wide and quite shallow, I have found that is where you are most likely to find the biggest ones 8)

I got it with a pitchfork 8) I remember playing paper scissors rock with my mate to see who had to stab it :lol:

I now know not to take the really huge ones, as they are females. I know where 3 are on my parents property that are at least as big as the one I caught, but they are going to be left alone so they can have a chance to breed. They are all in creeks shallower than gumboots, that are very clear with a shingle bed. I have also seen some in Wairoa that would be similar sized, if not bigger

one of the customers today is a keen hunter and eel fisher

i had the water level down to try to clear the algae in the water

i said i needed a photo to get a relative size of the big girl, so he said he would get in for me while i took the photo, he's about 6 foot 2

eel4.jpg

he then picked one up and said it's about 12kg

eel1.jpg

i said thats not the one, so he looked some more and found her

eel.jpg

but couldn't hold her properly

eel2.jpg

he estimates about 20kg and the biggest he has seen

eel3.jpg

some of the others wanting a feed

eels.jpg

what has no legs and an arm