Giving him the snip

Aaron-Betta

• 2 weeks later...
now the next question how do you know that it is too long to reproduce???

With the Lyre Tails the gonopodium becomes corkscrew shaped at the end.

If you don't want to circumcise your fish, you can get a high fin male to cross with the lyre tail to give a good proportion of lyre tails.

This is the young male that will have the snip:

lyretailmale.jpg

the main long fin is his gonopodium, but what is the thin corkscrew-like other partbehind his gonopodium? and the bit in front of it?

And his girlfriend to be:

lyretailfemale.jpg

They were going to be my first pair so that all the F1 fry were going to be lyretails.

Purplecatfish, do you think I should cross her to this guy?

hifinmale.jpg

and get 50/50 split of hi-fins and lyretails? I wanted to extend the lyretails and concentrate on improving the size and colour.

I remember reading somewhere (maybe the same site LA was talking about) how sometimes they aren't ever able to reproduce after getting the snip. That would be sad, he's pretty.

To be honest, even holding a fish still creeps me; let alone cutting his bits off!

http://www.aquaboards.com/viewtopic.php?pid=32547

It's possible that it may not work because the trimming removes the hook part of the gynopodium that the male needs to secure himself to the female vent. It may also be the case that heterozygous (HH) high fin genes are leathal to the developing egg.

When I was trying to breed my Lyre Tails I decided to get a high fin male and use him, like th eone in your pic. But it so long to find one that one of my females changed sex and as it was developing its gynopodium it fertilised the other females and I ended up with all the variants of Lyre Tail, High Fin, and normal swordtails.

• 1 year later...
Does anyone have any experience in giving their well endowed livebearers the snip? I have a nice lyretailed sword I wish to breed from but I am a bit hesitant about giving him the snip. Does anyone have any tips?

Did you do this dead & if so did it work.