I.D. on bugs, help please

livingart

i got given a small tub of shelled macadamia nuts for xmas, they were left for 3 days with the lid off then lid put back on and put away in a cupboard

so a month ago i found they had a few small white caterpillar or worms in them, so i put the lid back on and put them in the locust tank

wormsn.jpg

i now have about 500 plus worms and no sign of a beetle or moth yet

worms2q.jpg

they have a silk they produce like a waxmoth but don't seem to have changed yet

worms1w.jpg

any help id ing them would be appreciated

It would be one of the "stored product pests" and the eggs would have been in there and are still hatching. Probably a type of flour moth (there are a few) and they generally leave a web like can be seen. Usually found in grains and cereals and noticed when the webs become evident. If you are embarrassed by the wee darlins you can send them down here for scientific disposal to my newts before they become moths and go off to infest the rest of the house. Seiving removes all but the eggs. They would be good to culture for newt tucker but I would be caging about having them in the house as they can be a right pain to get rid of.

probably the same things then

plastic tight fitting containers will contain them or keep the moths out

it is a matter of getting rid of their food source i suppose

the lizards, newts and fish love them

funny to watch the small newts taking a while to get them down

We had the same prob up here. Cleaned out everything that looked like it allready had bugs in it... so noodles, pasta, rice, flour, bread, choc chips ect. We then washed down the whole pantry with white vinager and made sure everything that had been opened or came in plastic bags ect were put in to new tupperware.

So far so good. Have not seen the little bugs for at least a month.