NZ Guppy Society

Lucid

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan : congratulations, well done

Peter : Good to hear you still into guppies. How's the business.

Guppy Society : I'm in. Need a new club anyway. UHAS appears to be in recess.

So, what do we need to get started?

1. All (most) communications, meetings, newsletters, member-registration etc online ?

2. charter/constitution etc . FNZAS can you help set us up?

3. a committee - in other words, who is doing what?

What is a NZ guppy society supposed to do/be?

Some of my thoughts:

- join FNZAS so that members receive Aquarium World and other FNZAS benefits

- minimum fees, cost recovery only. (no sausage sizzles please)

- set up a breeding register - keep track of what is around

- setup standards for shape and color so that we can improve overall

- teach about breeding and standards

- share resources

- eventually import new stock

All of the above set in todays hectic/busy environment. Ideally, all activities are member drive . What I mean is 'it' happens not by committee, not by meeting/agenda but by member input/participation. A bit like this forum but more.... I can participate when I want to, not when I have to (phew, getting philosopical here)

Anyway, lets get the discussion going and then act on it.

sounds like were on the right track then! i would assume that ppl who join would already be accomplished guppy breeders etc, and i will also assume that the total weath of knowlege would be very large considering, my only questions are what would be the overall purpose to the club? and if it wer to be started where would it be held? maybe we could start a web site not jst for club purposes but for communication purposes?

Cheers Shae

I'd be in on the guppy club! On the newsletter front, we could probably set up a website and just add articles as people felt like writing them. I've done tonnes of reading online but what I really miss is NZ specific information. I'd be willing to help setup the website if need be. Also a forum would be easy to have for the club, but perhaps it would be more useful to apply to have an "NZGuppies" area on this forum.

As far as standards go, are there international governing bodies that set standards? (so you can borrow/adapt them :-)

Is there a NZ Livebearer club? Would that get a larger membership, distribute responsibility and increase resorces?

I'm a bit new to the fish club scene but seems to me setting up clubs must be the same the world over. So hope I can help a bit.

Regards,

Helene

1. All (most) communications, meetings, newsletters, member-registration etc online ?

I agree with cees on this one, with such wide spread interest round the country it would need to be run in a similar fashion to the nzka so any input you would have would be appreciatted alan.

Helene has a good point there also wi'th a livebearers association or club, it could probably poole more resources that way.

It would be good to see these over looked tropicals recognised.

far too many ppl see them as just a live food for larger fish.

I'm in for a part in the club/society.

So which direction do wee go now.

B

Good input everyone.

I like the idea of a livebearer rather then just guppy society. Even have a name for it already

Poecilia New Zealand.

I can setup the website as poecilia.fnzas.org.nz (or whatever)

I can do online registration, auto-newsletter etc.

We can keep this forum as main means of meeting/discussing.

Where to now.

Let this simmer just a little. See if we get more input.

At some stage we need to get some sort of organization going with proper rules etc.

Get a committee elected. Join the fnzas. Set a membership fee, possibly just the fnzas fee for now.

All I need is some fish ... let me think Pisces isn't visble yet, Pisces Austrinus is .. oops wrong hobby.

Cees

do we sit and simmer on it for now cee's or do we go for it while the iron is hot and people are willing to put ffort in.

what is the fnzas fee outta curiosity, I think that whatever it is would be fine for now, providing we don't need to cover web maintenance costs.

I think the auto newsletter is a good idea, as it makes you feel like a member of a club and provides exclusive communication for members but also think that we should have a forum, even if it is just a heading hear if it's poss.

B

agreed with steve i think we should start doign somthing about the "PNZ" dont know if that what we should leave it as cees, but never the less i dont c any1 else coming up with names. i dnt think we should sit on our buts the rest of the summer, i think we should get into it, personaly i would like to hellp in anyway i can, and what happens if weve already payed the fnzas fee? i still think there should be some sought of small club fee, i dont think ppl would mind $5-$10.

Cheers Shae

This club sounds interesting. I might join at some stage in the future once it gets started.

I would be surprised if a club really needed its own forum. You would never get enough traffic unless the club were very large. The livebearer forum on this site is barely used, so a forum on a separate site would almost certainly get even less use. Just using the livebearer forum on this board more actively would, I believe, be sufficient. To make it easier to find, you could link directly to that section of the fishroom from your website.

Just a suggestion.

good point inter, i would have to go with you on this one.

I have to admit tho that the livebearer forum has picked up a little in the last few months and it looks like more people are getting interested in them again.

Either that or there are more people joinging the hobby and using them as a starting point.

personally I beleive it is the first mentioned, rather than the latter.

do we sit and simmer on it for now cee's or do we go for it while the iron is hot and people are willing to put ffort in.

Give it a day or so more to see what response is and then we need to nominate people for a founding committee or something like that, I guess.

All they would need to organize first is some place to register, a bank account to manage funds (if any) and join the fnzas.

Cees

when you say registeer cees is that with the fnzas or elsewhere, and would we need a bank account or would the fees be able to be paid through our local club?

When I say register I mean a way for people to become a memebr of the club. That could simply be an online registration system a bit more advanced than a simple mail-form.

I believe we are talking about a 'new club'. If that club becomes an FNZAS affiliate then its members will be part of the FNZAS and the club will need to pay the 'very small' FNZAS fee. For that it would need a bank accoutn I guess.

Of course, if you are already a member of a local club than that fnzas fee is not required.

We could organize ourselves a bit like the NZKA .The NZKA calls (called) itself the first and only snail-mail fish club in NZ ( or something like that)

The livebearer club could be the first and only fully online fish club in NZ.