Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

weird green slime algae

Featured Replies

On my red pine there's a green algae smothering it. I don't know what it's called but its not beard or string algae etc..

It like smothers the plants by encasing them inside a green slime wall.

It kind of looks like a spider web that wraps around a plant to raise baby spiders in.

Any help on identifying and removing this algae permanently is vey much welcomed :)

Enzo.

PS I think the same sort of slime algae is covering my glass near the bottom of the tank

Definitely cyano then. Pull off as much of it as you can, get as much out as you can, then do a complete blackout of the tank for at least 3 days minimum. Do not feed the fish during this time either.

With a bit of luck that will be enough to kill it off.

If not, you may have to resort to using E-mycin, a prescription only medication.

Hah!!! So that's what it is! I've only got it on near the bottom of my tank too, funny how it grows there! I've been syphoning it out, but it keeps coming back. I'll try a blackout too, and see how it goes.

Do you notice a musty sort of smell coming off the tank?

If so, thats the cyano.

The other way treat it is with erthymicin (sp?) which is a prescription only antibiotic. I only would do this a a last resort as it can play havoc on your filtration etc.

Please note E-Mycin is erythromycin :wink:

E-Mycin is a trade name for it. There are many others but that is the most common in NZ.

I just gave some roxithromycin to someone to try for their cyano. It is, like erythromycin, a semi-synthetic macrolide antibiotic. The Dr who gave me some assured me it will work exactly like the E-Mycin. 8)

don't syphon it with your mouth (i'm sure you wouldn't anyway) - some cyanobacteria are quite toxic to humans. You wouldn't ingest enough to kill you unless you had a good sized dose of it but it could make you a bit ill or give you a rash

don't syphon it with your mouth (i'm sure you wouldn't anyway) - some cyanobacteria are quite toxic to humans. You wouldn't ingest enough to kill you unless you had a good sized dose of it but it could make you a bit ill or give you a rash

Hmmm. I always start the syphon with my mouth, but don't ever get any more than a couple of drips in my mouth.

  • 3 months later...
  • Author

Ok well it's been a while since my last post on this thread.

Just tonight I have dosed the (120L) tank with 500mg approx. of Erymthromycin as directed by the internet gurus and by the friendly staff at HFF.

I've been putting off doing anything with this cyano except cleaning as much as I can out once a week, and now I realise that it was a bad idea :o

SO, I hope this erythromycin works well. :-? 8)

Only three 3 species are responsible for toxic blooms: Microcystis aeruginosa, Anabaena flos-aquae and Aphanizomenon flos-aquae (from 3 Genera). Even the blooms caused by these 3 species are not always toxic. All the other blooming and non-blooming cyanobacteria species are harmless. The species in your tank doesn't bloom but forms mats so I'm pretty sure you are on the safe side.

don't syphon it with your mouth (i'm sure you wouldn't anyway) - some cyanobacteria are quite toxic to humans. You wouldn't ingest enough to kill you unless you had a good sized dose of it but it could make you a bit ill or give you a rash

Ugh... I would really hate to think what sort of stuff I have swallowed starting the siphon :o

I just see it as a way of building up a good resistance to bugs - no hand sanitisers or antibacterial soaps in our house!

I think in the case of swallowing certain cyanobacteria, an immune resistance wouldn't really help ;)

They produce a potent neurotoxins and hepatotoxins!

Ugh... I would really hate to think what sort of stuff I have swallowed starting the siphon :o

I just see it as a way of building up a good resistance to bugs - no hand sanitisers or antibacterial soaps in our house!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.